Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP Help and Support not working.  (Read 22526 times)

Call4ComputerHelp

Rookie

Re: XP Help and Support not working.
    « Reply #30 on: September 18, 2008, 09:14:05 AM »
    Let's try this again. Here is the link to the scan:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-8/1209601/Scan.jpg

Can you hear me now?

I can see it in Firefox, but the link is much better.

Are you in the Administrators account?

jwfilion

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2008, 09:51:46 AM »
      Call4ComputerHelp, according to the User Accounts in the Control Panel, I am the administrator. However, I've never tested this theory. A few times in the past, I have been notified that only the administrator of the computer could do whatever it was I wanted to do, I don't actually recall what I was doing at the time.
      For sure, this "helpsvcfix.zip" file I'm trying to locate requires that I be the Administrator.
      Are there any quick ways to find out if I am?

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #32 on: September 18, 2008, 04:51:23 PM »
      I'm confused. The link you provided shows this:

You were supposed to post results from Windows search for HelpCtr.exe

Besides, the command was supposed to read:
      %Windir%\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\HelpCtr.exe
      not
      %Windir%\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\

jwfilion

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2008, 06:29:31 PM »
        Broni, now I understand. You didn't get either scan. Here is the one you want:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-8/1209601/Search.jpg

AS for the CMD post, I just cut and pasted the instructions below:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-8/1209601/fff.jpg

from this page:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937055/en-us

I hope this is sufficient, if not, let me know.

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #34 on: September 18, 2008, 06:55:30 PM »
        From search results, I can see you DO have HelpCtr.exe in %Windir%\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries
        M$ page misses one step.
        At Command Prompt, you have to type:
        cd %Windir%\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries
        and hit Enter to get you to Binaries folder
        From there you can continue to step 3 from M$ page.

jwfilion

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2008, 09:41:18 PM »
          Broni, your directions worked, but unfortunately, the ones on the M$ page do not. When I went on to step 3, the response in the CMD window was the same as when I tried to start the Help and Support service. Here's the scan:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-8/1209601/Scan2.jpg

Help and Support is now magically in the Services section, but it won't start and M$ says the "helpsvcfix.zip" file is what I need, but of course, the link to it doesn't work. Can't win for losing.

Broni

Mastermind
            • Computer Help Forum
          « Reply #36 on: September 18, 2008, 09:55:13 PM »
          M$ article, you posted, doesn't actually apply to XP. It's for Windows Server 2003, but the very first command probably worked. That's why Help and Support is present in services now.
          M$ says the "helpsvcfix.zip" file is what I need
          Says where?

Broni

Mastermind
            • Computer Help Forum
          « Reply #37 on: September 18, 2008, 09:56:41 PM »

jwfilion

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2008, 01:44:18 AM »
            Broni, I've been to so many support sites lately, that I got them mixed up. The last link you posted was the page I was talking about, not M$. I spent the last two days trying to download that file, but got a "cannot find page error". Of course, I followed your link and it downloaded the first time. Go figure. Anyway, I ran the file and below is the result:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-8/1209601/HS.jpg

Yeah Team! Finally! If my System Restore worked, I would set today as a restore point. I guess I'll leave that for another day and let you guys rest up before I burden you again. I want to thank you all for your help and patience.

JJ 3000

Egghead
            • Experience: Familiar
            « Reply #39 on: September 19, 2008, 01:59:28 AM »
            Do you have any symantec products installed on your computer?
            Save a Life!
            Adopt a homeless pet.
            http://www.petfinder.com/

jwfilion

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2008, 03:45:39 AM »
              Norton Anti-Virus was already installed when I bought the machine but after many problems, I was advised to get rid of it. Man, it did not go quietly. It took forever to rid myself of their "Update". Thanks to the people here for helping me with that.

Broni

Mastermind
                • Computer Help Forum
              « Reply #41 on: September 19, 2008, 05:00:07 PM »
              I'm glad, your Help is back.

Talking about System Restore....what is exact problem with it?

Also...

Download HijackThis:
              http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/tools/security_tools/hijackthis/download
              Click on Download HijackThis Installer
              Post HijackTHis log.

jwfilion

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2008, 06:17:24 PM »
                WOW. This has been a great day! System Restore now works too! I thought I'd try one more time, before answering your post. Up until a few days ago, whenever I tried to open it in the System Tools folder, it would not respond. I figured I'd get the Help and Support going first, you know, one thing at a time.
                Could it have been a registry problem, and whatever fix got the Help and Support working, fixed the System Restore as well?
                This is great. Now I can use Help and Support to learn how to use System Restore.
                Broni, I have included the log you asked for. Thanks for all your help.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
                Scan saved at 6:11:00 PM, on 9/19/2008
                Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
                MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16705)
                Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
                C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
                C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
                C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
                C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
                C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
                C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
                C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
                C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
                C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
                C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
                C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe
                C:\Program Files\SiSoftware\SiSoftware Sandra Lite XII.SP2c\RpcAgentSrv.exe
                C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
                C:\WINDOWS\system32\Wacom_Tablet.exe
                C:\WINDOWS\system32\WTablet\Wacom_TabletUser.exe
                C:\WINDOWS\system32\Wacom_Tablet.exe
                C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe
                C:\Program Files\Unlocker\UnlockerAssistant.exe
                C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\jusched.exe
                C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
                C:\Program Files\KMaestro\KMaestro.exe
                C:\WINDOWS\essspk.exe
                C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe
                C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
                C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
                C:\Program Files\MTS Accelerator\PropelAC.exe
                C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
                C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgrsx.exe
                C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\SetPoint.exe
                C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe
                C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logishrd\KHAL2\KHALMNPR.EXE
                C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
                C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~2\FIREFOX.EXE
                C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\sniper.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.canoe.ca/
                R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
                R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
                R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
                R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
                R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
                R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
                R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = http=localhost:8080
                O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
                O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgssie.dll
                O2 - BHO: Accelerator Plugin - {656EC4B7-072B-4698-B504-2A414C1F0037} - C:\PROGRA~1\MTSACC~1\PRPL_I~1.DLL
                O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
                O2 - BHO: AVG Security Toolbar - {A057A204-BACC-4D26-9990-79A187E2698E} - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\AVGTOO~1.DLL
                O3 - Toolbar: AVG Security Toolbar - {A057A204-BACC-4D26-9990-79A187E2698E} - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\AVGTOO~1.DLL
                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RemoteControl] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe"
                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Logitech Hardware Abstraction Layer] KHALMNPR.EXE
                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Kernel and Hardware Abstraction Layer] KHALMNPR.EXE
                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UnlockerAssistant] "C:\Program Files\Unlocker\UnlockerAssistant.exe" -H
                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\jusched.exe"
                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG8_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VTPreset] VTPreset.exe
                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BtcMaestro] C:\Program Files\KMaestro\KMaestro.exe
                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EssSpkPhone] essspk.exe
                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSPM Startup] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\ISUSPM.exe" -startup
                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSScheduler] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start
                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Propel Accelerator] "C:\Program Files\MTS Accelerator\trayctl.exe" /STARTUPLAUNCH
                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
                O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
                O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SUPERAntiSpyware] C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
                O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [updateMgr] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\AdobeUpdateManager.exe" AcRdB7_0_9 -reboot 1
                O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
                O4 - Startup: ERUNT AutoBackup.lnk = C:\Program Files\ERUNT\AUTOBACK.EXE
                O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
                O4 - Global Startup: Logitech SetPoint.lnk = C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\SetPoint.exe
                O8 - Extra context menu item: eBay Search - res://C:\Program Files\eBay\eBay Toolbar2\eBayTb.dll/RCSearch.html
                O8 - Extra context menu item: Refresh Pa&ge with Full Quality - C:\Program Files\MTS Accelerator\pac-page.html
                O8 - Extra context menu item: Refresh Pi&cture with Full Quality - C:\Program Files\MTS Accelerator\pac-image.html
                O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
                O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
                O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdocvw.dll
                O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdocvw.dll
                O16 - DPF: {41F17733-B041-4099-A042-B518BB6A408C} - http://a1540.g.akamai.net/7/1540/52/20021205/qtinstall.info.apple.com/borris/us/win/QuickTimeInstaller.exe
                O16 - DPF: {A90A5822-F108-45AD-8482-9BC8B12DD539} (Crucial cpcScan) - http://www.crucial.com/controls/cpcScanner.cab
                O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{0AC41A51-B858-42C7-9168-F512651EA148}: NameServer = 142.161.130.154 142.161.2.154
                O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\..\{0AC41A51-B858-42C7-9168-F512651EA148}: NameServer = 142.161.130.154 142.161.2.154
                O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgpp.dll
                O20 - AppInit_DLLs: avgrsstx.dll
                O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
                O23 - Service: Ad-Aware 2007 Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
                O23 - Service: AVG8 E-mail Scanner (avg8emc) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe
                O23 - Service: AVG8 WatchDog (avg8wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
                O23 - Service: Logitech Bluetooth Service (LBTServ) - Logitech, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logishrd\Bluetooth\LBTServ.exe
                O23 - Service: SiSoftware Deployment Agent Service (SandraAgentSrv) - SiSoftware - C:\Program Files\SiSoftware\SiSoftware Sandra Lite XII.SP2c\RpcAgentSrv.exe
                O23 - Service: TabletServiceWacom - Wacom Technology, Corp. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Wacom_Tablet.exe

--
                End of file - 7240 bytes

Broni

Mastermind
                  • Computer Help Forum
                « Reply #43 on: September 19, 2008, 07:16:46 PM »
                I'm glad, you're all fixed up :)
                Could it have been a registry problem, and whatever fix got the Help and Support working, fixed the System Restore as well?
                My answer: I don't know...LOL

As for HJT log, it looks clean.
                You're good to go...

jwfilion

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2008, 09:58:02 PM »
                  Thanks for all your help.