Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Faulty HDD???  (Read 5435 times)

french253

Topic Starter

Rookie

Faulty HDD???
    « on: September 14, 2008, 05:36:27 PM »
    I'll try to keep this brief. About a week ago my wife's custom build (4 years old) began having some issues.  At start-up it would beep as normal, then go through the normal posting, but it would stop short of loading Windows XP.  I have read several message boards and tried various things including unplugging all devices and plugging them back in.  I have not installed any new hardware and hooked up a working HDD drive to try to rule it out.  When I did this, Windows started to load, but the screen faded and eventually went blank.  Monitor is new and was working fine for months before the computer started acting up.  Any help would be appreciated.  THANKS!
    Rob
    Rob

xavier

Re: Faulty HDD???
    « Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 05:46:20 PM »
    If your monitor is OK?  Do fans continue to spin? I would say its a video pblm,or power supply not in order. Is this a on board video or do you have a video card?

xavier

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 05:50:21 PM »
    One thing to keep in mind when the hard drive id dis connected, & the cd rom drives & you power up the PC it should post [Display]

french253

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 06:10:45 PM »
      Monitor is okay... I just added that to rule it out as display problem.  Fans continue to spin.  It has on board video (Biostar P4VMA-M motherboard)... no video card.  When unplugged I get a "Disk Boot Failure:" message at posting.
      Rob

xavier

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 06:16:52 PM »
      What i am trying to get across is if you had 1 stick of ram in board, cpu & heat sink hooked up, video hooked up to monitor & when you turn on the pc you should get a display on the monitor, if you dont you then know it has to b one om the components that are hooked up.forket your rom drives & HD for the moment

french253

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 06:20:21 PM »
        I've got you... I think... I have a display but the computer goes no further.  So, since I have a display you think it must be CD Rom or HD?  Thank you in advance for your help by the way...
        Rob

xavier

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 06:28:05 PM »
        You should get a bios display? [ANYWAY ]hook up the HD & cdrom drive. Do you hear the  HD spining? Do you have a spare HD to test?

french253

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 06:31:25 PM »
          Yes, I get a BIOS display (as in Bus NO, Device No, Funct NO, etc across the top of the page) and HD is spinning.  I can pull the HD out of this computer and hook it up, but it is SATA.  I'll check the motherboard to see if it can do my SATA hard drive.  I'll get back ASAP. 
          Rob

french253

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 06:48:50 PM »
            No go on hooking my HD to the computer, but I put that HD in mine and it works fine.  All files are good.  So?
            Rob

xavier

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 06:57:15 PM »
            Do this re hook up like was before, if you can get into bios set bios for default or best known config. If you know how change boot order , boot from cdrom, re boot with windows XP disc & press enter.

french253

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 07:10:39 PM »
              I've actually tried booting from everything (and setting BIOS for best known config.) minus using the boot disk... My wife misplaced the disk when she moved in.  I thought about loading Linux on a flash drive and booting from it.  I've been told it works but never done it before.  If not, I will try to dig through old boxes and find a copy of Windows.  Thanks again for your help!
              Rob

xavier

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 07:16:46 PM »
              Let us know back

french253

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2008, 07:21:26 PM »
                Will do...
                Rob

french253

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 09:41:47 PM »
                  Update... I located a copy of Windows that was exactly like the one my wife used originally.  Booted like a champ from disk.  NOw I have to change boot sequence and see if it will boot from hard drive... We shall see.  Thanks again for your help Xavier.  I am ashamed (but am also thrilled) that it turned out to be something so simple.
                  Rob

french253

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 09:49:48 PM »
                    AAARRRGGGHHHH... Now that I said something, the computer reset itself and now will load past the Windows XP page but restarts at "Welcome."  Is this a power supply issue?
                    Rob

xavier

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2008, 06:46:50 AM »
                    O boy. A power supply would would B a good start.

xavier

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2008, 07:06:13 AM »
                    It could b a HDD pblm also,   you have to start some ware

french253

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2008, 02:16:54 PM »
                      Since the HDD worked fine in my computer I have ordered a new 500w Antec power supply from Newegg.  We'll see where to go from there.  If nothing else, I can use the power supply to rule out parts in the future.
                      Rob

xavier

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2008, 05:08:15 PM »
                      OK. Hope the new power supply is all that is necessary?Be carfull when dis. connecting & re installing

danstar10

Greenhorn

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2008, 05:21:49 AM »
                        Try a HDD diognostic utitity from your HDD manufacturers website to check the hard disk health?

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2008, 05:29:24 AM »
                          No No No.... I think I have the answer since this happened to me alot, what happens is windows would have to reinstalled when this happened to me or disconnect an reconnect the cable's.  Tell me what drive is it maxtor,western???  How did you format set it up?  If its maxtor you cant use any old versions.  You need an have to use maxblast 5.  ;)  Which was my problem.
                          Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

french253

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2008, 11:39:41 AM »
                            Squall... thanks for your input.  The HD is a Western and is a bit old, but I think it is holding up.  I tried another working HD in that computer but I had the same those variables through other tests.  I really believe that the problem is the power supply or the MOBO.  If it is the HD, that's an easy fix as I already have all necessary info backed up.  I'll keep you posted, and thanks for the help.
                            Rob

patio

• Genius
                            • Maud' Dib
                              • Yes
                            • Experience: Beginner
                            « Reply #22 on: September 17, 2008, 05:24:48 PM »
                            As opposed to just buying a PSU borrow a known good one from someone overnight  to see if it is in fact the issue...
                            As to the drive DLoad and run WD's Data Lifeguard Tools to check the drive...Free from their site.
                            Run the long Test...before going to bed for the evening.
                            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2008, 05:26:07 AM »
                              Like I said it was my problem.  Mite have tied into yours, it took me about a year till I got it tooken to a repair shop to find that out, hopefully it wont be to hard of a fix.  ;)
                              Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2008, 10:14:00 AM »
                                this ever get fixed?

french253

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2008, 02:20:44 PM »
                                  Hey Squall... Sorry I didn't get to post back... I have been out of town for a bit.  I got important files off the computer, reformatted the hard drive, and reinstalled Windows XP.  It runs like a charm.  Thank you for all of your help
                                  Rob

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2008, 02:40:36 PM »
                                    You know where we are if trouble occurs again.