Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: .tlv files  (Read 4134 times)

Even

Topic Starter

Rookie

.tlv files
    « on: September 15, 2008, 09:10:00 AM »
    I had a message on my computer (xp pro SP3) this morning informing me to reboot to load aol files necessary to run the program.  When I rebooted not all the startup programs loaded and were uncheck in my msconfig file.  I tried to recheck them but it said I needed to sign on as an administrator.  I have always been able to change my startup files in msconfig and my user account is set up as administrator.  Why all of a sudden is it giving me this message?

It appeared that it did accept my changes despite the message, so I rebooted but when the system came up the entire msconfig file was unchecked.  I then restored using Norton GoBack to midnight.  The rescued files list showed numerous .tlv files posted all night long.  A google of .tlv says these files are from a truLaserView program.  I did a search on my computer and found some in my aol user profile directory in the metrics sub directory.  What are these and why am I all of a sudden being told I need to sign in as an administrator.  I do not have a laser program.

I have been having some problems lately with aol and never call their support line as they don't seem to know what they are doing.  When my husband signs on to his aol account in his XP user signon, I am unable to sign on to my aol account when I am in my XP user signon even if he has logged out of aol.  I have to log out of his XP user account and then I can sign on to aol. 

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: .tlv files
    « Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 09:25:49 AM »
    Welcome to ComputerHope.

Let me just clear something up. You have 2 user accounts on Windows XP. There is a problem with your account but not with the other account?

Even

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 10:10:28 AM »
      Yes, that is correct.  My husband has his XP user signon and I have my own.  Mine works fine.  As a footnote I might add that I have had other problems with his user name since loading Norton Anti-Virus software.  When he uses his pen drive, it creates temp files of his documents (excel) and sometimes he can't save the file and loses the file.  I usually find a temp file and can restore it but it is very curious.  Sometimes his account also hangs up the system when we try to switch users and we have to hard boot.  I have tried several things to correct this such as reassigning the drive letter of the usb port, recreating his user account.  But nothing has fixed it.  I don't know if this is relative to the aol problem and maybe I should post this as a separate thread under a Windows forum.

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 07:53:43 PM »
      Create new profile for your husband: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151
      It looks like the current one is corrupt.
      I'd also go to our Computer viruses and spyware forum to check your computer for infection.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 02:43:40 AM »
      I'd also go to our Computer viruses and spyware forum to check your computer for infection.
      Agreed. Better safe than sorry.

Even

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 07:42:37 AM »
        I did createa new profile for my husband's user account but it didn't solve the problem.

Even

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 08:06:06 AM »
          Is there a link to this on that forum page?  I didn't see anything that indicated where I could check for spyware.  I should also mention that I run spybot and Ad-Aware on a regular basis.  And of course I have Norton Anti-Virus.  I also run Hijack This and do not see anything unusual.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 08:12:59 AM »
          I also run Hijack This and do not see anything unusual.
          How did you check?

Here is the link:
          http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html

Even

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 08:17:32 AM »
            How did I check?  You mean run the Hijack This program?  I run "Do a System Scan and Save to a Logfile".

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • Yes
            « Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 08:23:07 AM »
            Yeah, how did you check the log file? How do you know everything is ok?

Even

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 11:10:51 AM »
              I look for anything that is not familiar and if not, check with "Info" on the bottom right of the screen.  Other than that, I am not that sophisticated to know if a legit program is misrepresented in the log.  If something is unfamiliar I will google it to get more info.  That's about it.

Broni

Mastermind
              • Kraków my love :)
                • Computer Help Forum
              • Computer: Specs
              • Experience: Experienced
              « Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 06:46:03 PM »
              You were adviced to go to Computer viruses and spyware forum.
              It's your choice.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • Yes
              « Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 12:35:42 AM »
              If you post the HijackThis log, we can go through it knowing what we are doing.