Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Intel 845GV and Dual Monitor Woes  (Read 2735 times)

JohnK

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Intel 845GV and Dual Monitor Woes
« on: September 15, 2008, 05:01:20 PM »
Okay so.
I have an NVIDIA GeForce 6200PCI and Intel Extreme Graphics (82845GV).
I decided I wanted to try setting up dual monitors.. Shouldn't be that hard, right? WRONG.
I have both the latest NVIDIA drivers and the latest Intel drivers.
I have the GeForce set as my primary display adapter in my BIOS, Intel as secondary.
When I go to enable the second monitor, I click "Extend my Windows Desktop onto this Monitor" and hit okay. Nothing happens. I go back in to find that the box is unchecked.
Most peculiar is when I set the intel as my primary adapter in the BIOS. When I go into display properties, i get an error message saying that my video drivers are for an older version of windows and it's reverted to the default VGA drivers.
The only resolution available for my GeForce after that is -2 x -2.
However, I installed an older PCI video card, and dual monitors worked just fine, so it's not my GeForce.. it has to be the Intel Extreme Graphics.
Anyone have any idea?
Thanks!
<3John

homer

Expert
    Re: Intel 845GV and Dual Monitor Woes
    « Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 05:17:27 PM »
    the 6200 has dual monitor support, why dont you just use the 6200 and disable the onboard video?

killerb255

Adviser
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 06:41:57 PM »
      Agrees with Homer.

Dual monitoring with Intel Extreme Graphics + a GeForce 6000+ series card or anything better than a Radeon 9800 = A Very Bad Thing(tm).

Trying that with Crysis on the wrong monitor is just asking for a BSOD...
      Quote from: talontromper
      Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

Eg0Death

Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 06:44:59 AM »
        I think the graphics sources are too disparate.   Kind of like putting a monster truck tire on the driver's side and a bicycle tire on the passenger side of your Buick.  Just ain't gonna work.
        Why is this thus?  What is the reason for this thusness?