Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: setting password on a workgroup  (Read 3884 times)

r3ynz_t4nz

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • A programmer is a king
    setting password on a workgroup
    « on: September 18, 2008, 09:12:07 PM »
    hey guys!
    im new in networking.. i am currently setting up a workgroup in a network and i want to set a password in my new workgroup.. can anyone please help me?

ecxzqute..

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
      • Technology News and Information
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: setting password on a workgroup
    « Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 09:19:10 PM »
    What operating system are you using?

If its 2000/XP/Vista, right click the folder, go to Sharing (or properties, then Sharing), and under Sharing, there may be a "Require Password" field you can fill out.

There is no way to prevent users from accessing a list of network computers, or from viewing the folders at the base of the share... but, you can prevent users from opening the folders, and accessing files.

r3ynz_t4nz

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • A programmer is a king
      « Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 09:23:36 PM »
      uhm... i really wana set a password on my new work group.. there is already an existing workgroup in this network. my OS is xp pro.. is there a way to set a password on my workgroup to prevent access from other computers in my network?

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
        • Yes
        • Technology News and Information
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 09:27:48 PM »
      Its possible to protect the individual folders, from my experience working with workgroups, thats really it.

r3ynz_t4nz

Topic Starter

Beginner
      • A programmer is a king
        « Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 09:47:30 PM »

Its possible to protect the individual folders, from my experience working with workgroups, thats really it.
        =========================================================================

nope.,., its possible to protect my workgroup from other user in the network?

killerb255

Adviser
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 11:37:16 AM »
          It sounds like you're wanting your workgroup to function like a domain.

A workgroup are a poor-man's domain. 

Domain = 5-star hotel.
          Workgroup = Motel 6 in the ghetto.

The only security options you have on a workgroup are share permissions, NTFS permissions (if using Windows), and the individual user accounts on EVERY SINGLE COMPUTER in the workgroup. 

Turn off Simple File Sharing first (My Computer -> Tools -> Folder Options -> View tab -> turn off last check box "Use Simple File Sharing").  You CANNOT, I repeat, CANNOT do this with XP Home Edition, Vista Home Basic, or Vista Home Premium! (good thing you have XP Pro)

Let's say you have a workgroup like this:

COMPUTER1
          User Accounts: Mr. T, Chuck Norris,

COMPUTER2
          User Accounts: 50-Cent, Snoop Dogg

COMPUTER3
          User Accounts: Slayer, White Zombie

COMPUTER4
          User Accounts: Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood

Let's say COMPUTER1 has a folder on the C drive called:
          C:\I Pity da foo

On that share, the following permissions are set:

Share:
          Administrators: Full Control
          Everyone: nothing
          Users: Read

NTFS:
          Administrators: Full Control
          Mr. T: Full Control
          Chuck Norris: Read
          SYSTEM: Full Control

Let's say Kelly Clarkson on COMPUTER4 wants to access that share using \\COMPUTER1\I Pity Da Foo.  She can't get in without Mr. T's User Name and Password (or Chuck Norris' if she just wants to read what's there). 

Of course a new account called Kelly Clarkson with the EXACT User Name AND Password can be made on COMPUTER1 to get into the share.  From there, Kelly Clarkson would have to be added to the Administrators group or Mr. T would have to add "Kelly Clarkson -> Full Control" to the Share or NTFS permissions.

See how messy this can get?  Everyone controls their own stuff on a workgroup. 
          Quote from: talontromper
          Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.