Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: OS's that are compatible with IBM  (Read 4752 times)

Faem

OS's that are compatible with IBM
« on: March 03, 2005, 01:23:35 PM »
Are there dependable & friendly OS's that are compatible with IBM platform based software besides MS?

I want to switch from MS OS but don't want to have to replace all my current software. I'm thinking about Sun's new OS but know absolutely nothing about any OS except MS.
[size=1.5][Wishing there was a try before you buy type thing where one wouldn't have to reformat and reinstall everything.]  [/size]  ;)
Any help is appreciated.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: OS's that are compatible with IBM
    « Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 01:37:09 PM »
    Faem...Here's a bit of reading for you .....
    http://www.cptech.org/altos/  
    I'm just a little curious as to why you want rid of MS operating system .

let us know

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Faem

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2005, 08:38:28 PM »
    Thank you so much for replying and info.
    Well, I've had so many crashes and had to restore more times than I can count. I currently run 98SE on an HP 8580C lemon which overheats dramatically, but that has been dealt with. However, Windows, though easy to use, has proven to be very unreliable. If I update, everything crashes and I have to start all over. If I don't up date, things seem to run OK until I install the Adobe Suite (Old version, Photoshop is 5.5) or MS Office 2000. In fact, regardless what programs I choose to use, 98SE invariably gives me the screen of death then ultimately won't reload even with the rescue disk. (I do run virus protection, firewall, and malware programs and religiously update and scan daily) Basically, I'm tired. I loved Windows 3.11, and thought I would love 98. It has great features but is very undependable. Also, since I began using 98SE in '99, I've easily spent one year of that time attempting to resolve conflicts and issues. I've even tried ME but same occurs. For a time I was confident many of the probs I experienced are related to HP's configuration but I've reformated and gone back with just Windows and still have probs.  :-/ So.... Am now seeking an OS that will function with my existing programs that is reliable.

Again, Thank you so much for your reply. Am preparing to go do some reading. :)  

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2005, 09:19:44 PM »
      Faem......Well if you want a stable operating system ......try Win XP .......it is the best one that I've seen overall. Win ME is probably the worst platform ever devised ( Although Merlin 2 wouldn't agree) .

Good luck

dl65  ::)
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Faem

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2005, 10:07:17 AM »
      LOL about Merlin2.
      It's my understanding that XP doesn't like old PIII's and the drivers for everything that came with it. Also that finding the drivers to upgrade the PIII to something XP likes is supposed to be a major headache.
      Is there any truth to that?  ???

Thank you for the suggestion.
      Also, thanks for the previous link. Am learning a lot because of it.
      « Last Edit: March 06, 2005, 10:09:31 AM by Faem »

gussery

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2005, 11:13:40 AM »
      No truth to that at all.  I have never had a problem putting XP on a P III.  Nor have I had any problems finding the proper drivers, except one for a very old scanner that needed to be replaced anyway.

Corrosive

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2005, 01:15:59 PM »
      For God's sakes people, Windows is not the be-all-and-end-all of operating systems! Widen your horizons (man...)

Worth a read: http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Software/Operating_Systems/

Oh, and dl65:
      I'm just a little curious as to why you want rid of MS operating system .

What, asides from the fact XP is a pile of poo?

And Faem, if you want a "try before you buy" (or in this case, download for free) operating system, Knoppix is a Linux distribution that runs straight off a CD, and does not install anything on your hard drive - unless you tell it to explicitly, of course. http://www.knoppix.org/

Faem

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2005, 01:57:36 PM »
      [I'm so ignorant! lol]
      About Knoppix, does one remove Windows before one can run Knoppix from CD?
      I do apologize for my ignorance but am working fervently to alleviate that. As you can see, all I've ever worked with is Microsoft and have come to believe they use the public's ignorance to maintain control. Furthermore, after my experiences with MS I also believe it proprietorial and is interfering with my ability to use Open Source programs because after updates if I have an Open Source program my system dies.  Also, not so terribly long ago there was a MS fault that ate many of the graphics I created for web designs. Eventually, after it destroyed even my backups, I was able to trace the problem to Microsoft and get a fix for it but not before it destroyed over a year's worth of work.
      So, yes... I'm fed up with MS but dread the learning curve of a new OS.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2005, 02:37:13 PM »
      ...I'm fed up with MS but dread the learning curve of a new OS.

Not that much different from Win98.  You can choose to configure WinXP as "Classic Desktop".  Then the "look and feel" is almost identical.  You can have both OS's and have a "dual boot" computer.

However, WinXP needs memory.  I recommend 256MB (or more) and no less than 128MB.

Faem

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2005, 03:04:28 PM »
      Whooooa...  :o
      You can have both OS's and have a "dual boot" computer.

This gets more interesting by the minute and each time the learning curve goes up. LOL

I've heard of "dual boot" but haven't the foggiest on how to begin. I think I was dreaming to think there is an OS out there that I could just install and go.  :-[
      *a bit embarrassed by my naivete`*

Seems the more I learn the more I am going to need to learn if I am going to migrate to another OS. Also, the biggest prob I'm encountering is finding the minimum PC requirements for each OS except for MS products. They put the minimum requirements right out front where they are easy to find.  

You all are providing quite and education! Working hard here to be a sponge and absorb it all. lol
      Go Team!!!
      « Last Edit: March 06, 2005, 03:10:35 PM by Faem »

Computer_Commando

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2005, 03:14:39 PM »
      ...the biggest prob I'm encountering is finding the minimum PC requirements for each OS except for MS products....

Tell us what you have:
      CPU type @ ? MHz (i.e, PIII-? MHz)
      Memory (RAM) -  ? MB
      Hard Drive - ? GB @ ? rpm

WinXP has configuration for multi-booting.
      I recommend PartitionMagic because it allows you to change partition size after installation (which Windows does not).  It includes BootMagic:  http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/

Faem

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2005, 04:09:19 PM »
      Tell us what you have:
      CPU type @ ? MHz (i.e, PIII-? MHz)
      Memory (RAM) -  ? MB
      Hard Drive - ? GB @ ? rpm

CPU: PIII
      Speed: 500MHz
      Cache Ram: 512MB
      Physical Ram: 384MB
      Hard Drive: 80GB (didn't find the rpm)

merlin_2

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2005, 02:10:47 PM »
      use apple mac for graphics.........and all systems are mostly reliant on the user/s....to maintain it........rule (1) don update pcs that are running ok!! and rule(2) build you own pc and dont relpy on the dell/hp etc sales pitch......and  m$oft is not  only programers of  software  out there..dr dos and freedos/derbain  >> is without the fisher price look of winxp/longhorn alfa........its win3.1 etc  with add-ons or is it  the amiga 1200 in steathmode>> 3.1 workbench= windows.......if you are a graphics  person...........apple mac.< s jobbs.>........if in doubt see bill about m$oft and the cash making empire   :).........an opinon........;)use dreamweaver........tip..
      « Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 02:18:46 PM by merlin_2 »

Corrosive

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2005, 02:16:51 PM »
      Re: Knoppix.

No, you can keep Windows! That's pretty much the point of Knoppix: a try-before-you-reformat-and-wonder-why-you-didn't-use-Linux-all-along type thing.

All you really need to do is change the boot order in the BIOS. On most systems, you hit [Delete] whilst the PC POSTs (starts up) and you'll be able to access it. You then just need to find out where you change the boot order (it's different depending on the type of BIOS) and make sure you are booting from the CD drive first.

If you don't like it, you just remove the CD, go back into the BIOS and boot from the hard drive again. It's pretty straightforward really, especially if you've been in the BIOS before.

Faem

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2005, 06:20:54 PM »
      Koppix sounds pretty straight forward and easy, plus an excellent way to see what linux is about. As soon as I get this pc running again, I'm downloading it and give a try. Had to install a new hd and still isn't operating right.  >:(
      Appreciate everyone's help. Ever so ready to venture into new Territory.

and... Merlin 2...
      I've considered Macs but am unwilling to invest even more $$$ into programs written for macs, when I've already invested so much into ibm compatible.  :'(