Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Faster upload than download - WHAT?!  (Read 4662 times)

Neptune

Topic Starter

Rookie

Faster upload than download - WHAT?!
    « on: September 14, 2008, 09:14:02 PM »
    I don't think this exactly fits here, but I didn't see any better forum.

See:

Ignore the stuff about bittorrent, I'm only including it because I think it provides proof of what I've been suspecting for a little while now - which is that I'm not actually downloading at what my "download speed" is? Confirm or deny this? Why I say this: As you can see, speed test says my download is 6600 kb/s and upload is 1700 kb/s. Yet on the second image, my download speeds are only 500-600 kb/s which is not ANYWHERE near what my download speed is apparently at (according to speed test) while my upload speeds are 1500ish kb/s  which is close enough to what the speed test says my upload speed is for me to accept the difference as just a normal fluctuating discrepancy.

So, what gives?

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Faster upload than download - WHAT?!
    « Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 09:44:03 PM »
    Is the second test from BitTorrent itself?
    Do you have BT port(s) forwarded?

Neptune

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 05:47:24 AM »
      Is the second test from BitTorrent itself?
      Do you have BT port(s) forwarded?

The second test is from here - not from my bt client (utorrent)

I want to say I don't have the ports that the test used or the port that utorrent uses, but when I did the utorrent config and clicked the button to test if the port was forwarded, it said it was (???) - SO I think my router is doing some kind of auto-config? When I hooked up my Xbox 360 (also wireless) I didn't need to forward any ports there either, making me suspect some type of auto-config port forwarding going on even more.

Broni

Mastermind
        • Computer Help Forum
      « Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 03:50:34 PM »
      What kind of speeds are you getting with BT, when you use it?

Neptune

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 01:13:23 PM »
        What kind of speeds are you getting with BT, when you use it?

100-300 kb/s download mostly, yesterday I was getting 300-430 kb/s frequently though.
        Upload is a lot more consistent at 150-300 kb/s, yesterday it creeped up to 350 kb/s max a couple of times though.

With scores like 6600 on a speed test shouldn't I be getting a lot more download speed than what I seem to be getting.. ?

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 07:17:03 PM »
        I'd say, any download faster, than 100kb/s is good.
        Believe me, I spent A LOT of time, tweaking my connection, playing with port forwarding, applying half-open connection patches, and yes, I saw on couple of occasion my download speed reaching 700kb/s, but normally, my speed would be somewhere between 100-400kb/s.
        It all depends on number of seeders, and seeders to leechers ratio.
        Upload speed is more consistent, because it depends MOSTLY on your connection speed, which depends on how busy your ISP servers are.

Neptune

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 11:36:50 PM »
          I'd say, any download faster, than 100kb/s is good.
          Believe me, I spent A LOT of time, tweaking my connection, playing with port forwarding, applying half-open connection patches, and yes, I saw on couple of occasion my download speed reaching 700kb/s, but normally, my speed would be somewhere between 100-400kb/s.
          It all depends on number of seeders, and seeders to leechers ratio.
          Upload speed is more consistent, because it depends MOSTLY on your connection speed, which depends on how busy your ISP servers are.

Well, I wasn't concerned about download speeds on torrents specifically - just worried that for some reason/some how I wasn't "getting" the full download speeds that my connection is capable of, but it doesn't matter much I suppose since my internet is fast enough for my normal browsing habits and the only time I could make use of faster speeds is on torrents and there's no real rush with those anyway. Thanks for your help. :)

Broni

Mastermind
            • Computer Help Forum
          « Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 04:28:13 PM »
          You're welcome :)