Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Faulty USB storage drive  (Read 2923 times)

Karroog

Topic Starter

Rookie

Faulty USB storage drive
    « on: September 16, 2008, 07:52:02 AM »
    I've been through a lot to get this to work, so this is my last ditch effort.

I have a SanDisk U3 cruzer micro 4GB USB storage device.  Its been working great for a few months and then it suddenly stopped working.  It stopped working after I tried to use a USB port on my desktop and I had forgotten the specific port did not work. (Was at the front of the case, was too lazy to connect that up when I built my computer)  I had taken out the device and then it wouldn't work. 

It now always comes up as an error.  I am using microsoft windows XP and Vista with this drive.  The error states:

"USB Device Not Recognized"
    "One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it.  For assistance in solving this problem, click this message."

I went through its shpeel and nothing worked.  I tried downloading the U3 driver software to try to "reboot" the drive but it seems that it won't even start up because it doesn't see the USB drive. 

Again, I've tried on multiple interfaces with multiple computers, even with my USB player in my car and it says "no device".  Probably its dead and I can't get it back, but just wanted to get some feedback to see if there was anything else I could do.  This has been the 5th USB I've lost in a year from multiple different companies and I swear its such a headache to even keep one running.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Faulty USB storage drive
    « Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 08:08:41 AM »
    It sounds to me like you have damaged or shorted out the USB drive. If it doesn't work on any other computers, I think it's gone.

It also seems you have tried pretty much everything I would have suggested you try.

There is one thing I am curious about....
    This has been the 5th USB I've lost in a year from multiple different companies
    What happened to them?

Karroog

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 08:22:13 AM »
      It sounds to me like you have damaged or shorted out the USB drive. If it doesn't work on any other computers, I think it's gone.

It also seems you have tried pretty much everything I would have suggested you try.

There is one thing I am curious about....
      This has been the 5th USB I've lost in a year from multiple different companies
      What happened to them?

All died.  It seems I've had very bad luck with USB drives.  I always go through the process of taking them out of my computer with the standard procedure of stopping the drive on the computer so I can release it, but somehow I just have not had any luck keeping them fully functional for a long period of time.  In a matter of months something happens and then I need to replace it. 

A great question I have....is there any other storage device other then USB that is out on the market other then external harddrives? (even though that is what usb literally is). 

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 08:25:44 AM »
      A great question I have....is there any other storage device other then USB that is out on the market other then external harddrives? (even though that is what usb literally is). 

Ahah, that is where you are a slightly mistaken, my friend.  :P

USB Storage Drives use Flash memory and External Hard Drives use an actual Disk.
      In other words, Flash Drives (USB Storage Drives) have no moving parts, less prone to damage by falling, and are smaller in memory capacity whereas an External Hard Drive has moving parts, can be damaged by falling, but has a very large storage capacity.

I don't think there is any other type of memory available except PhaseChange which wont be out for another decade or so.

Karroog

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 08:36:26 AM »

Ahah, that is where you are a slightly mistaken, my friend.  :P

USB Storage Drives use Flash memory and External Hard Drives use an actual Disk.
        In other words, Flash Drives (USB Storage Drives) have no moving parts, less prone to damage by falling, and are smaller in memory capacity whereas an External Hard Drive has moving parts, can be damaged by falling, but has a very large storage capacity.

I don't think there is any other type of memory available except PhaseChange which wont be out for another decade or so.

Bah's I got stumped!  Yeah, PhaseChange, o we wish you were here already.

Guess I'll just upgrade to a 16 gig flash drive for 40 bucks and be more careful.  Not sure how else to prevent this stuff from happening to me, such bad luck with it.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 08:41:25 AM »
        I would just make sure it doesn't come in contact with magnets and make sure it is removed safely though Safely Remove Hardware.  ;)

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 04:23:12 PM »
        Before you toss it out i would check it on the rear port of another machine...
        The best method would be to insert it with the machine powered down...
        Then power up...wait a few minutes and right click My Computer.
        Select Manage then Disk Management.
        Right click the USB drive and select Properties.
        Report what it says...if it says RAW the data is gone so just format it in Disk Management and you will be able to use it again.
        If it reports any other way DLoad and run Recuva  (Free)  and you just may save your data...

NOTE: When you get a new one if it is also U3 personally i would format it first before using it...U3 itself has alot of issues and i see no redeeming quality in continuing to use it...
        The above is strictly opinion based on my experiences with it...others may have different views.

NOTE #2: If you decide to format it U3 will be removed and can't be re-installed later according to most manuf..... ( i'm a bit leery of this also )
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "