Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: BIOS ACPI Setting (something POST) locked me out of BIOS SetUp.  (Read 10386 times)

stacyc72110

Topic Starter

Starter

BIOS ACPI Setting (something POST) locked me out of BIOS SetUp.
    « on: September 16, 2008, 04:11:38 PM »
    I flashed my BIOS, so it might be some different.  But here's the specs...
    Intel D845GRG, Version AAA81583-304, Serial ABRG32219313...
    BIOS RG84510A . 15A . 0057. P19

I changed a setting trying to maybe enable ACPI, but didn't work either. 
    It was under the Power Catagory, seems like it was a POST setting and maybe video.  Could be I just know that from video takes 4-5 minutes at POST.  But I'm pretty sure it was a POST setting.  Can't boot from a boot disk for some reason either, to get to DOS.  Anyway the BIOS set Up screen never shows and I've tried pressing F2 at all different times still nothing except Windows at the User Account screen.  Skips XP's start Up screen also.  I tried Flashing Bios again thinking it might set it to default but flashed successful and it's just like it was.

I think it's sleeping but can't wake it.  Searched near 15+ hours stil aint found the solution.

Thanks,

pcwizard

Hopeful

• A computer is for life, not just gaming!!
      Re: BIOS ACPI Setting (something POST) locked me out of BIOS SetUp.
      « Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 03:15:28 AM »
      What happens if you try F8 - do you get the option to boot from Safe Mode? (just to make sure it's recognising key input during boot up)

Have you tried any other key than F2 (Del, F10 & F12 are common keys).

Is this a laptop or desktop? Removing the CMOS battery can clear any unwanted settings and default it back to factory settings.
      A computer is for life....not just gaming!!

stacyc72110

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 09:41:31 AM »
        The computer is a desktop.  A Gateway E-4000 w/ serial number 0030341372.  BIOS was RG84510A . 15A . 0037 . P15  It is now R84510A . 15A . 0057 . P19 (BIOS Date 08/21/03)  The ChipSet from a BIOS Info program says Intel 2560 Rev. 3   BIOS Type - American MegaTrends Licensed to Intel.  The system board is an Intel D845GRG, Version AAA81583-304, Serial ABRG32219313.

F-8 repeatedly durring it's start w/delay seemed to of stopped it from booting.  I'm assumming too early stops it or delays it more.  ctrl, alt, del does reboot it.  But it may be timing it just right.  F-2 repeatedly durring start up keeps the system from booting up.  Thought it was maybe in bios, so tried F-9 (I think enter) in case it ask for confirmation then F-10 and enter.  Because it does ask for confirmation.  But I tried assorted keys at start up (esc, tab, F-12, F-1, F-11, alt + tab, ctrl + esc, maybe delete).  I also tried a Diagnostic POST card to watch for possibly timing it right.  Tried too many different keys, instead of trying F-2 at multiple times.

I've done tons of searches, about 10-15 hours at it.  Tried the CMOS jumper (except putting it in recovery).  Left the battery out over night but I think I left the power on, so might not of helped.  I've reflashed the bios, it completed succesfully. 

There was only like 2-3 settings in there.  I changed one.  I think it said something about video and post.  But I aint sure if it was enable / disable type setting or how many choices after I expanded the item.  I do remember it said something about post, and might of said something about video in the explanation on the right.

Do I need to set the jumper also to clear or reset, while the battery is removed? 

Thanks for the help.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 06:20:50 PM »
        Remove all power to the machine when removing the CMOS battery to reset the BIOS...
        It's also good to hit your power button a few times in this state to discharge any stored energy...

I have to ask though ...why did you flash the BIOS ? ?
        This has produced many expensive doorstops...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

stacyc72110

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 10:50:27 PM »
          Yes I flashed the BIOS.  I'm using that computer now, to type this.  But it takes about 4 minutes to start from power on.  I don't get a screen at start up to press F-2 to enter BIOS set up.  It also skip the XP start up screen.  The video is doing something extra, I think at POST.  The setting I think that messed it up mentioned POST.  I enabled it and now I got no video till the computer is ready to log in to Windows. 

I've tried to put a boot disk in to get the C prompt, I was going to try some internet debug ideas from a search I come up with.  No C prompt after waiting the usual time either.

Computer runs fine, but some setting in BIOS I changed keeps it from starting with video, I think.  The setting was under the POWER (Tab), it said ACPI above one of the two or three changable items.  As if they were all ACPI related.  The one I changed related to POST when I expanded it to look at it.  I think it delt with video.

Gateway might know, or MPC who seems to of aquired this perticular version.  I'm just holding on till I have funds to call and ask.  Or buy the out of warranty warranty.

But the computer is fine.  Except I can't get in BIOS since the screen is black either when it comes on or it skips it.  Hoping it's just a black screen, video is off while it's starting up.  It'd just be a matter of catching it at the F-2 pressing time.  I aint tried that many times.

Thanks,

stacyc72110

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 10:58:52 PM »
            Forgot...  I flashed BIOS to try and make it Vista compatable.  I tried installing Vista and once it almost did, but hung.  Then I formatted the drive to make it clean and fresh.  But messed up installing, it installed XP Pro as a standard computer.  Wouldn't upgrade from XP since it wasn't ACPI compliant.  So I flashed the BIOS to upgrade it.  Didn't work, and was trying to enable something to possibly change it from Standard Computer.  Though I've read once in Standard it can't just be turned back on. 

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 10:39:10 AM »
            I hate these "i flashed my BIOS" stories as they normally don't have a happy ending....
            Start by contacting the manuf. for a replacement EEPROM chip which is the only way to get back to square one.
            You will need to take it to a local Repair shop as it is not a user friendly repair.
            Best of Luck to you...
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            • Certifications: List
            • Computer: Specs
            « Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 05:11:40 PM »
            Was the setting changed AFTER the BIOS Flash?

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

robinjohn

I NEED HELP
            « Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 01:07:24 AM »
            i don't know the problem of my computer, it always hangs up when i turn it on, it also automatically shuts down and is very slow processing..... please help me restore or reboot or even reformat my computer so i can start working again with my computer..