Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cannot Complete Windows XP Pro Start-up Process on HP Laptop  (Read 5993 times)

Macks Powerzs

Topic Starter

Starter

Cannot Complete Windows XP Pro Start-up Process on HP Laptop
    « on: September 17, 2008, 07:50:12 AM »
    Hello and Thank You,
    I am having trouble with my HP laptop that runs a Windows XP Pro Operating System. All I did was a simple restart and now I cannot access my computer. It will boot up fine and begins to go threw its normal start up process, the 1st Microsoft Windows XP screen appears (with black background and blue strobe  under logo) that step is completed without problems or delay. It's the following step that is can't seem to get past. When it reaches the 2ND Microsoft Windows XP screen (with two tone blue background color, and smaller logo) it won't go any further. There is no warning or instruction of any kind, my computer doesn't freeze, it doesn't make any additional/strange sounds, the processing/thinking indicator is not blinking, my mouse still works without hesitation or delay on both screens. (I am using my laptop plus 1 additional monitor) No “Blue Screen Of Death” or error codes, it just will not go any further. I keep my computers updated and defragged, I always run disk cleanup and delete cookies. I installed service Pack 3 for XP pro. without any issues during installation. Although it has been running a little slow and freezing up randomly since I installed the service pack. (only for 10 to 30 seconds not to the point of reboot) That was about 10 days ago. I run explorer version 7. I have been updating FireFox on a regular basis, but I have refused to install FireFox version 3 several times in the past two weeks. FireFox says my Real Player Internet Down loader Add-On will stop working, so I keep telling it to remind me later. I can't see how that could do this.
    ·   NOTE* I had just installed several updates from Microsoft but none that required a restart and none failed to install. It was my choice to restart my computer not a prompt by the system. Just before I restarted it was running fine no freezing or odd behavior.
    ·   NOTE* If I let it reach the 2ND Windows XP screen I cannot power down or access the task manager by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del It will only power down if I press and hold the power button manually.
    ·   NOTE* Time doesn't seem to make a difference or help in any way. I run both my laptop and PC on one desk so I have my laptop powered up and I am looking at it right now. I have had this start up screen up for hours and it still allows me to move the mouse freely and doesn't give me any indication that it's attempting to process any information. It just won't go any further.
    ·   NOTE*Below I have listed what I am working with and what I have tried so far, please help if you can. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

What I have tried so far is:
    ·   I tried to use a program called "GO BACK" by Roxio, that usually works great, but it told me that there was no safe time to revert my hard drive back to. That was the first time I have ever seen that message in 5 years of using Go Back on 3 different computers.
    ·   I tried to boot from my Norton System Works CD and it told me I had to disable the "Go Back" program I had running. So I did that, and then rebooted from the Norton disk and was able to run an Anti-Virus scan. The scan returned clean, no viruses were detected.
    ·   I Started in Safe Mode but when I reached the 2ND Windows XP screen (with Two-Tone Blue background) it would not go any further, just like before.
    ·   I have since tried all the other choices offered from the F8 DOS (Safe Mode) screen, Everything I try stops at the same point.
    ·   What do I do Please Help!!!

What I Am Working With
    My Laptop is a Hewlett Packard Pavilion Model No:ze5375us

Here are it's System Specifications
    2.4 ghz Pentium 4 Processor
    512 mb DDR RAM
    15 inch LCD 1024x768 + Additional Dell 18 inch LCD for extended desktop
    ATI Radeon graphics Card
    USB2.0 - 3 Ports
    DVD/CDRW drive
    1.44 md floppy drive
    802.11B wireless
    Firewire
    10/100 network
    Modem
    Infared
    Conexant AC-link audio
    S-Video out
    PS2 mouse
    VGA Out
    Parallel Port
    Infra Red

My Internet Connection is by LAN Cable and a Wireless G Notebook Card made by Ativa Part No. AWGNA54

I Use Comcast High Speed Cable Internet
    With download speeds of between 4 Mbps and 6 Mbps and upload speeds of between 384 Kbps and 768 Kbps.

ThankYou Again for any help I will look for reply's to this post

Desperately In Need Of Help
    Macks Powerzs
    « Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 04:09:18 AM by Macks Powerzs »

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Cannot Complete Windows XP Pro Start-up Process on HP Laptop
    « Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 02:52:39 AM »
    Another great/informative post. :)

When you get to the two-tone screen, can you see the mouse?

Also, do you by any chance have the Windows XP Pro CD?

Macks Powerzs

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 04:04:54 AM »
      Yes I can see and even move the pointer with my mouse without any problems.

I know it's around here somewhere but I can't find my windows XP Pro Cd anywhere, I did purchase XP Pro software separately and I have registered it with Microsoft. I might have a reinstall CD, will that work?

What do I do if I can't find the CD?

Do you think Microsoft will send me a new XP Pro CD since I registered my product?

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 04:09:29 AM »
      Do you think Microsoft will send me a new XP Pro CD since I registered my product?
      I'm actually not sure.
      You can ask them via Customer Support and explain your situation.

It will have to be the Windows XP CD (you can borrow one from a friend.)

Once you have it, I suggest performing a Repair Install:
      http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Macks Powerzs

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 04:29:33 AM »
        Alright I know someone with an XP Pro Cd that will let me borrow it to perform a repair.

Will I be able to save any of my personal info? I have so much stuff on this machine, 20+ GB of music, and years of work files.

What other options do I have if I cannot get a XP Pro CD?
        Can I get anything off the HD?

BTW Have you ever heard of anything like this I couldn't find any posts that said thay had this problem? Isn't it odd, no error codes, no freezing up, no safe mode access. What the *censored* did I do?
        Do you think it was service pack 3?
        Is it just a windows thing?

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 05:23:37 AM »
        I recall a similar situation a while back (don't remember the link) but the member did mention installing Service Pack 3 recently before the problem, but we cannot jump to any conclusions just yet.

You will need the Windows XP Pro CD to perform the repair install. It will not remove any of your personal files, don't worry. :)

If you want to back your files up, you can remove the current Hard Drive and hook it up to another computer as a Slave Drive and copy over the files on the other computer.
        (I can give you more details if you wish to do this)

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 02:02:56 PM »
        I recall a similar situation a while back (don't remember the link) but the member did mention installing Service Pack 3 recently before the problem, but we cannot jump to any conclusions just yet.

If he does that then there will be no chance for a Repair Install as the CD would have to be slipstreamed to include SP3....an SP2 XP CD would be rejected as not matching...

But let's wait for more info on the matter.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Macks Powerzs

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 05:15:14 PM »
          If you want to back your files up, you can remove the current Hard Drive and hook it up to another computer as a Slave Drive and copy over the files on the other computer.
          (I can give you more details if you wish to do this)

Yes please tell me more! The computer I am sending this message from is sharing a desk with my Laptop so I hook it up right here and copy over the files. But how? I didn't know a HD from a laptop could be hooked up as a slave drive in a PC. Does it attach to the same ribbon that I used to when I put a 2nd HD in my PC?

Any info or websites would be much appreciated, Thanks

Also I do have a external HD if I hooked that up to my Laptop could I boot from it and then transfer the files onto the external drive? Is that possible I don't think my external HD has an operating system on it I have only used it for storage purposes. Crap I think I just answered my own question, let me guess I could install a OS onto my External HD but I need the XP Pro CD right?

The other thing is that my PC that I am currently using is running 2000 Pro will it still work to access the HD from my laptop? Or do I need to hook it up to a PC/laptop that's running XP pro?

Thank You For Any Advice/Help you hav e to offer

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 05:55:36 PM »
          First grab one of these:

Laptop 2.5" HDD to IDE connector...about 8 or 10 Bucks...available at any PC store.
          This will enable you to hook up the laptop drive to the desktop.

There are no jumpers on most laptop drives so it will be recognised as a slave drive and will show up in Windows Explorer as the next available drive letter...

Note: Just to be safe i would run all protection program scans available on the desktop machine on the laptop drive just so you don't carry an infection from one drive to another.

As to the external drive question ...it is a ton of work to get an external drive to be bootable with an OS other than a flavor of Linux so i'd suggest scratch that idea.

Third Win2K Pro will read any XP files and vice versa for XP to Win2K...
          Take your time and Good Luck.
          Let us know.

BTW...Welcome Aboard !
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "