Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Backspace button won't delete text in MS Word  (Read 7030 times)

ekearney

Topic Starter

Rookie

Backspace button won't delete text in MS Word
    « on: September 17, 2008, 08:26:10 AM »
    In MS Word 2003, if I highlight a word/paragraph and press the Backspace button it doesn't delete the text.  If I highlight a word/paragraph and type another word it doesn't delete the highlighted word/para.  I'm forced to use the Delete button now.  The Backspace button used to be my go to button- loved it.  In Firefox, Windows, anywhere else I can still use Backspace as before; only Windows has this problem. 

Another problem that I just notice is that I can press Tab to indent a paragraph, but when I try to use Shift+Tab to bring it back it simply pushes the text further to the right, as if I'd just pressed Tab again.  Again this is only in Word.  Maybe related?

I must have made some change but don't know what I did.  I really don't remember doing anything out of the ordinary... Does anyone know how to change this setting?

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Backspace button won't delete text in MS Word
    « Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 08:34:10 AM »
    In MS Word, go to Tools --> Options --> Edit Tab and make sure that Typing Replaces Selection (first option) has a tick next to it.

As for Shift + Tab, it does the same thing as Tab on my computer.

ekearney

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 08:59:25 AM »
      Brilliant, thanks a lot!  I guess I assumed that the Shift+Tab worked to un-Tab like it does moving backwards between fields.  Oh well.

Thanks again for the quick fix!

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 09:00:34 AM »
      No problem.

Note: Backspace gets rid of the tab index. ;)