Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PCI Card (TV Tuner) - All components won't show up in device manager...  (Read 7441 times)

monies

Topic Starter

Starter

I'm trying to understand why all the different components of my TV Tuner card won't show up under Vista's device manager. I have installed this TV Tuner card on a different box with Vista and I've been able to use the Windows XP drivers to get it up and working on that box, but when I moved it to a new computer I am unable to correctly install the drivers.

When this card is operating normally (when it was in my other Vista box), the following list of hardware shows up under Sound, Video and Game Controllers...
    - ADS PTV 305 Audio Capture
    - ADS PTV 305 AVStream Crossbar
    - ADS PTV 305 MPEG Encoder
    - ADS PTV 305 Tuner (Silicon)
    - ADS PTV 305 Video Capture

Now that I have it in my new Vista box, only the following show up:
    - ADS PTV 305 AVStream Crossbar
    - ADS PTV 305 Audio Capture
    - ADS PTV 305 MPEG Encoder

So, two pieces are missing (Tuner, Video Capture).  Usually, I would expect that I'd find two unknown devices sitting in Device Manager, but they are nowhere to be found.  When I try to 'Add Hardware' via Control Panel and just brute force the other two components (I have drivers for all 5 pieces), my computer will BSOD.

The computer in question is a Dell Optiplex GX620 and is a slim pc.  There's a PCI expansion board that plugs in to the motherboard to allow full-size cards to be used. I have no idea if this is causing an issue.  I have kept the case open and plugged the TV Tuner directly into an open PCI slot (removed the expansion board) and still got the same result.

I've tried looking on Dell & Intel's site for chipset drivers for the 945G/GZ chipset - to no avail. 

Computer Specs:
    Pentium D 820
    1GB PC-4300
    80 GB HD
    i945G/GZ Chipset
    Intel on-board video card

There are no other cards installed besides the TV Tuner. It's an ADS Tech Instant TV Deluxe (PCI). http://www.adstech.com/support/productsupport.asp?productId=PTV-305&productName=Instant%20TV%20Deluxe%20PCI%20(MCE) There are no Windows Vista drivers; however, I have gotten this card to work under Vista with the XP drivers in another computer.

I'm at a loss for what to try next to get these other two components to show up in device manager so that I can install the drivers.  Any suggestions?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: PCI Card (TV Tuner) - All components won't show up in device manager...
    « Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 07:02:39 AM »
    Until they write drivers for Vista i'm afraid you're out of luck...
    Have you contacted the manuf. yet ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

monies

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 07:55:26 AM »
      The manufacturer has said they won't be supplying Vista drivers.  I am curious as to why this card would work under Vista in an ASUS P4P800 MB, but not in a Dell Optiplex (sorry, don't know the MB).  Does that make sense to anyone?  I thought drivers were hardware independent, as in, it shouldn't matter what motherboard you're using, the drivers are the same. Not only that, but I'm fairly certain if I installed XP on the Dell this card would work just fine, or I should say, it darn well should. 

This just isn't making sense to me.  Is there a possibility that there's a hardware conflict somewhere? I haven't messed around with IRQ's or any of that stuff since before 2000. Is there anyway to pull apart the BSOD message to see why its happening?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 08:15:37 AM »
      No it's probably because Dell's all use native drivers written specifically for Dell's...
      It's been this way forever.
      You're not the first one to have hardware not work properly on a Dell machine.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "