Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: switched hard drives, now problems  (Read 3131 times)

kdem

switched hard drives, now problems
« on: March 11, 2005, 06:39:54 PM »
I had an HP pavilion that had a bad power supply that fried everything except the hard drive.  I had a seconc HP pavilion that had a bad hard drive but everything else worked. I took the good drive out of the fried HP and put it in the second HP.  I now have a working computer but some error messages are coming up and my biggest problem is that my monitor will now only support either 2 color or 16 color, therefore,  it looks like I am running in safe mode.  I have tried updating drivers for my monitor but it didn't work.  I thought about wiping the drive and reloading windows 98 but I can't find that version, only windows 95.  I have an HP recovery disk that I can't get to work.  Does anyone have any suggestions other than buying a new computer?

gussery

Re: switched hard drives, now problems
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2005, 07:17:43 PM »
You want to update the drivers for your video card, not your monitor.

kdem

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2005, 12:48:22 PM »
How do you find out what video card you have to know what driver to install?

ojas25

Apprentice

• My Computer World
    « Reply #3 on: March 12, 2005, 01:30:45 PM »
    HI sounds like you may need to install motherboard drivers, if you don't have a seperate video card then it's the M/B you need to install the drivers, if you do have a video card then the it's drivers need to be installed. If you don't have software like Belarc installed you may need to look and see if there is a video card fitted.8)
    « Last Edit: March 12, 2005, 01:33:17 PM by ojas25 »
    Computers are my hobby and my income love working with computers

Computer_Commando

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2005, 03:43:05 PM »
    How do you find out what video card you have to know what driver to install?

http://www.hp.com