Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Power Supply Connectors Fried...  (Read 4576 times)

Anythingwill

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Computers, you love and you hate them...
    Power Supply Connectors Fried...
    « on: September 17, 2008, 04:48:21 PM »
    Hello again,

Time for my routine computer problem... So, recently my computer wouldn't start up, and when i took it apart I realized I managed to fry my power supply connectors. I'm wondering how, though, (I realize that's vague, but I don't know what normally causes this, so if you know the common problems and could post them it would be a great help) and what i should do now. I have pictures attached, and as you can see the one connector actually has the plastic burnt off, and that plastic actually happens to be currently stuck in the motherboard connector. Which if i could still use my motherboard i would ask how I could get that out.

I seem to have my computer apart a lot, and last time i had it open i didn't notice anything. I could be really unobservant, but this seems to be something new. Which I would think would fit with it not starting up as well.

The only other thing i can think to mention is that when i say i have my computer apart a lot, it's not usually to change anything. It's usually just another computer problem i'm working out. The most recent thing i actually changed was to add in a 512 mb RAM stick a few months ago.

If you guys have any ideas that would be great as usual. Thanks

[recovering disk space -- attachment deleted by admin]

Anythingwill

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Re: Power Supply Connectors Fried...
      « Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 04:52:54 PM »
      Couldn't seem to add a third pic to last post, so here you go

ChrisXPPro

Adviser

• Forever Learning
        • ACB Systems
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 05:51:17 PM »
      Right now I am thinking something on the mobo called for way too much current - and so overheating those contacts - which is pretty extreme!

Not wanting to be pessimistic but - eyeball all mobo best you can and look for any PCB burn marks or a component that looks fried.  Right now I fear something failed - and maybe even shorted things out.  Which then begs the question as to whether you PSU is still even viable.

I'd say this is potentially indicative of something catastrophic.  Wondering, since you didn't say - how old everything is.?
      Ain't technology great - until it goes wrong!

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 07:58:39 PM »
      Or also to consider it could be the fault of the PSU...i would stop using it immediately in this condition...
      If the name on the PSU is something like Sparkle or WATS spelled wrong then you may want to buy another...just don't get a 20 dollar special if the machine is worth anything to you.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Anythingwill

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 08:30:37 PM »
        I'm going to take a better look at the motherboard tomorrow, and i'll pull off the processor to see how its doing, and all that. I just figured i'd mention a few more things.

As for the age, it's hard to tell. First off, i knew absolutely nothing about computers when i got this, and i didn't pay attention to things that would have helped. It's also a computer that was put together by someone out of used parts, though. So everything is a different part with a different age. Throughout the years when i still took it to a professional for repair, parts also got swaped and so on. It has a M7NCG 400 - BIOSTAR motherboard, which is possibly the problem part. Obviously it can only be as old as when they manufactured them (i have no idea when that was). You can take a look at http://www.motherboard.cz/mb/biostar/M7NCG400.htm for its specs if you want them.

My original thought was on the power supply. I realized i should have included this: that i did manage to get the computer started up for 5 mins at one point when i originally couldn't turn it on, and it was overheating. So i actually had a spare power supply that i was going to swap when i took it apart, and then saw the additional problem.
        I certianly stopped using the computer in general, and since i have another power supply I have no intention of using this one now. The makes of both of them, though, is Pro Power for the fried one (it was simply in the computer from either when i got the computer or if at some point it got swaped), and Enermax for the one i happened to have lying around. The Pro Power looks a little cheap, but i have no clue about the quality of either of these. What do you think?

ChrisXPPro

Adviser

• Forever Learning
          • ACB Systems
        « Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 08:31:17 PM »
        But - even with a replacement PSU - check out that mobo - carefully!  

That's my #1 suspect right now.  If something nasty then you'd fry another PSU - my 2c anyways!

To add - neither PSU you name is familiar to me.

Anythingwill

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 08:37:43 PM »
          Yea, definately, its why i didn't simply go "oh well" and plug in the new power supply.  :P It can only make things worse.

The big thing right now, is i'm not sure how likely you think the motherboard is to survive, it's sounding sort of bleak for it. There are files on the hdd that i'm going to want, and as i know from my previous posts on here, i can't simply plug it into another motherboard. I never did hear of a way before to manage that. So i'm going to take a look at the motherbaord, but i'll just throw that thought out there right now for people to think on. If you know of any ways to do that it would be great.

JJ 3000

Egghead
          • Experience: Familiar
          « Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 08:40:13 PM »
          You can hook your hard drive up as a slave in another machine and recover your data.
          Save a Life!
          Adopt a homeless pet.
          http://www.petfinder.com/

ChrisXPPro

Adviser

• Forever Learning
            • ACB Systems
          « Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 08:43:53 PM »
          OK - so we'll assume right now you are on another puter.

My thinking is - first check mobo in detail - as I said, look for any even small - appearance of PCD track or components that look even part fried!  I'd not want right now to dare hook that to another PSU.  Look at any components - but most of all look for large type transistors that might be involved with voltage reg' - otherwsie just any signs of heat.

Then re HDD - get an external enclosure from Newegg or CompUSA etc - so you can put the drive in that and hopefully USB it into another machine later - recover data.  $35 to $40 will get you one of these - just check whether you have an IDE or SATA HDD - the IDE will have the 40 pin ribbon connector. 

Oh and yeah as just mentioned - you could slave the drive - but IMO external can be an easier route sometimes.

Anythingwill

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 01:31:13 PM »
            Yea, i'm working off another computer.
            So, i looked at the motherboard and i noticed a capacitor that blew, and one that appears to be bulging. Pic below.
            That's the only thing that seemed to be wrong, though. I took a look at the processor, the different things connected to the motherboard, there was no visible damage. That of course doesn't mean they're alright, but for now i'd say they are.
            Any ideas what caused the capacitor to blow?

ChrisXPPro

Adviser

• Forever Learning
              • ACB Systems
            « Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 01:46:48 PM »
            Well - hard to tell from pics totally but - bulging electrolyics suggest internal breakdown and/or some over voltage perhaps - which might occur if a resistor went low - tho that may not always be easy to spot unless it fried - but then they'd usually go open circuit.

So - hard to tell for sure - whether caps failed or bulged due to component breakdown or - brought about by some other failure.  You say rest looks OK ... but are all tracks on PCB perfect?  You need to look pretty hard sometimes to find a track that may have fused - without necessarily having much blackening.

Sorry no hard and fast diagnosis but - on balance I'd think the mobo is possibly too far gone, assessing from this distance anyways.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 04:27:45 PM »
            I wouldn't re-use that PSU either...

Anythingwill

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2008, 01:42:06 PM »
              Yea, i definitely wasn't planning on using that power supply.
              So i'm still looking over the tracks, because assuming i'm understanding you correctly this is not easy lol.
              Essentially, though, do you think i should be looking for a new motherboard? I started in case.
              Which on that note. One other thing i know is i have to make sure my PSU is powerful enough for all the components i put in. The thing is, though, i don't do that a lot, how are you suppose to figure out how much power you need?

ChrisXPPro

Adviser

• Forever Learning
                • ACB Systems
              « Reply #13 on: September 19, 2008, 01:48:16 PM »
              Yeah - inspection of PCB tracks is best done with an eye glass .... to look close up.

Right now I think a new mobo is most likely needed.  Not to say old one cannot be repaired but - you gotta find the right person probably who can do it unless you are well up on such things - and then no guarantee that time put in will effect a cure.

PSU rating?  Well - thirstiest thing can be graphics card ..... but IMO your best bet is to buy a generously rated PSU anyways.  Someone gave a link recently which I forget - which gives some ideas as to how to assess your requirements.

I'd probably be thinking 450W and up - but if you can find a reputable make rated at 550W or so that should handle things well with something in hand - usually.

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #14 on: September 19, 2008, 03:19:20 PM »