Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Some audio recording questions  (Read 2782 times)

Calum

Topic Starter

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Some audio recording questions
« on: September 22, 2008, 03:32:53 AM »
Well, I need to record several audio sources at once.
I realised yesterday that one sound card can't handle multiple inputs, which I'd assumed anyway.
Basically I need to capture at least a voice (will use my headset) and an electric guitar (will use an adapter, 1/4"-3.5mm jack).
Now I just need a decent way to do this.
Could I use two sound cards in one computer, or would using two separate computers be better?
I'm not really limited on hardware here, I have my main machine with an X-Fi that I could use the onboard audio on, two machines with SB Live cards, 8 old PCI128 sound cards, and a laptop with an Audigy 2.
What's going to be the best way for me to do this?
Also, if I wanted to capture even more sources, say another guitar and voice, what would be the best way then?

Please, don't say rent a recording studio because I don't have the money and this is just a small scale project for now.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

james_j2001

Re: Some audio recording questions
    « Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 06:26:29 AM »
    What you need is some good software.  I use Cakewalk Sonar.  With that you only need one card and then you record in multiple tracks.  So for instance, you would record the guitar and then play it back and record the vocal over it just like you would in a studio.  Sonar is pretty expensive, but I think there are some free multitrack recording programs out there.

Calum

Topic Starter

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 10:15:23 AM »
    The problem with doing that, which I could do with Audacity which I currently use, is that the vocals don't always exactly match the guitar.
    This isn't a pro doing it, it's my sister, so if she plays the guitar, and then sings over it, it will be slightly out of sync.
    Thanks for your reply anyway though, it's a good suggestion but not what I want to do.
    Also, welcome to the forums.

Calum

Topic Starter

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 12:02:24 PM »
    Update: I achieved what I wanted to do just now in a very roundabout way, using my laptop to record the guitar and my desktop to record the voice.
    Whilst this does work it's not very elegant or practical, especially as I will need to be doing this quite a lot.
    I was to either activate my onboard audio, or install another sound card in my desktop - would I be able to record from two sound cards at once like that, or not?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 12:12:35 PM »
    Isn't it possible to get a "mixer" thing, that takes multiple inputs and gives one output, that can be connected to the sound card?

My 2.1 sound system has a wired remote, and it includes an "AUX" plug. Any device (MP3 player, for example) I plug in here will mix with whatever sounds the computer is playing at the time.

The question is- is this functionality available in a standalone device?
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Calum

Topic Starter

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 12:20:31 PM »
    That's another possibility, yes.
    I'll look into something like that, it's just a question of my funds.
    Doing it with my existing hardware would be ideal, but if I could find a cheap mixer that would also work, thanks.