Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Shut down,date and time, and Boot problem  (Read 3542 times)

Lemondrop

Shut down,date and time, and Boot problem
« on: March 12, 2005, 01:41:09 PM »
This has been a reoccuring problem for me. I have had to reinstall windows about 6 times because my computer manufacturers told me, but it doesn't work.

When I boot my computer up again it always takes me to this black screen saying you need to press f4 to run set up which is called BIOS Setup Utility. It says that checksum was bad and the time and date are not setup. I usually press excape so I can get to windows.
This doesn't happen when I restart though... It also can't be viruses and spyware because I have so many programs and I only just got the internet two days ago and this happened the day after I reintalled windows.

When I press shut down, the computer usually just stays on and the monitor or the cpu won't shut off. The monitor stays on the screen saying windows is shutting down forever.

I tried to fix the time and date in the control panel but the next reboot, it goes back to january 1 2002.

I need all the help I can get. Thanks

merlin_2

Re: Shut down,date and time, and Boot problem
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2005, 02:05:50 PM »
read more here>>http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000237.htm

you can adjust the time in the dos/cmd prompt by typing time?? but read the above.......link posted..and if a new pc have the makers repair it??and dont fiddle with it...my guess is this an old pc ........specs/make of it and o/s help u:)

Lemondrop

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2005, 02:14:50 PM »
I actually bought it in june of 2004 its brand new. I read the article and I did try to repair the time and date but it goes back to the same old date after a reboot and I do save and exit but I just don't know what to do?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2005, 02:17:29 PM by Lemondrop »

Dr Wahab

Intermediate
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    « Reply #3 on: March 12, 2005, 02:23:59 PM »
    Hello how are you. My friend according to my point of view, you must change your CMOS battery. For this, open your computer case and you will see a battery just like "peny" (or little larger than peny). Its color is shining silver. Remove it from the mothboard and get a new battery similar to old one and put in the same position as old one. You must remember the correct side of the battery if you are not familiar with computer hardware. AFter this your problem will be solved. After booting up windows, set the time and date.

Okay do take care of you and others and be happy.
    Bye...:)
    DrWahab
    do take care of you and others

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2005, 02:33:40 PM »
    ***DONT........TOUCH IT*.**...PHONE THEM UP AND MAKE THEM COME OUT.......if you unscrew the case and play with it ............your warranty will go out the window with it.......a pc that has this problem or any other within less that a year........will or maybe cause further problems...later........ask for a replacement......unit....put your foot down......on this issue and DONT be fobbed of by them or anyone else.......trade descriptions is with you..........this applies to a custom build machine or a pre-made one like dell etc.[and if you are interested on your problem.....mobos had it].........old one slung-in...maybe......
    « Last Edit: March 12, 2005, 02:35:38 PM by merlin_2 »

Lemondrop

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2005, 02:47:06 PM »
    Its color is shining silver. Remove it from the mothboard and get a new battery similar to old one and put in the same position as old one.
    I am really not familiar with the inside of a cpu and I'm scared I might do something wrong but thanks for the advice.

Gateway always tell me they will have a look at my computer but everytime I call they insist I reinstall windows. I think I will call them again and tell them that I need to have this checked out.

Thank you Merlin2 and Dr Wahab

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2005, 03:02:07 PM »
    Good........you will be ok........tell the service mob....that you want other..pc.......

-------------------------------------------------------
    A story for you....i purchased a pc ..typhoon from a certain well known store..red/white..........it when up the creak before the twelve months had run out..
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Usual rubbish via the phone....not much joy there
    so whent to their store...picked up one of their trolleys and dumped the whole system in it...
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Then the crunch...cani seak to the store manager usual thing..the manager is not available.........to cut it short i got all my cash back........and its strange they stopped selling that system.......i wonder why........
    Off Topic.......sorry.....but ..........>..<