Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: svchost.exe  (Read 5136 times)

Ralph12

Topic Starter

Rookie

svchost.exe
    « on: September 16, 2008, 08:49:12 AM »
    This message window appears just before I log into my user account.
    The insertion at 0x7c918fca referenced memory at 0x00000010. The memory could not be written, click ok to terminate the program or click cancel to debug the program.
    Doing either one does not help.
    Any information that can help cure this will be appreciated.
    I am using Windows Media Center

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: svchost.exe
    « Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 05:57:24 PM »
    Welcome to the CH forums.

Where does SVCHOST.EXE figure in the error message you posted?   Please post the EXACT error message if the one you posted it is not complete.

Svchost.exe is a necessary part of the XP system but some malware mimics the name.

Please read this..

One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

Ralph12

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 07:43:30 AM »
      This is the exact message in the window and where it shows up let me know if there is any other information I can possible give you.
      I have seen that some of svchost.exe files are disabled but I don't seem to be able to enable them.
      Thank you for your quick response
       Ralph

Dusty

Egghead

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 03:21:51 PM »
      The insertion at 0x7c918fca referenced memory at 0x00000010. The memory could not be written, click ok to terminate the program or click cancel to debug the program.

Above is the error message you posted but your thread title is svchost.exe - what made you decide that svchost.exe is linked to the error message?

I have seen that some of svchost.exe files are disabled but I don't seem to be able to enable them.

Where ???

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 12:51:18 PM »
      Svchost.exe is a necessary part of the XP system but some malware mimics the name.

Yep, look here: http://www.processlibrary.com/search/?q=svchost.exe

Ralph12

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 06:06:52 AM »

Above is the error message you posted but your thread title is svchost.exe - what made you decide that svchost.exe is linked to the error message?

Where ???
        Dusty I am sorry about taking so long to reply and in reading this I see that I made some mistakes in typing it, here is the exact message.

When the window comes up it says svchost.exe Application Error, then the message part is .. The instruction at 0x7c918fea referenced memory at 0x00000010. The memory could not be written Click on OK to terminate the program  Click on CANCEL to debug the program, doing either does not change anything.
          I went into System Information clicked on Software Environment, clicked on Running Tasks and found these four svchost.exe that were not available
                             Process Id            Priority
           svchost.exe  996                    8
                               1208                  8
                               1232                  8
                               3580                  8

I thought I has posted this yesterday but I didn't see it so I am reposting this

Ralph12

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 06:12:44 AM »

Where ???
          Dusty I am sorry about taking so long to reply and in reading this I see that I made some mistakes in typing it, here is the exact message.

When the window comes up it says svchost.exe Application Error, then the message part is .. The instruction at 0x7c918fea referenced memory at 0x00000010. The memory could not be written Click on OK to terminate the program  Click on CANCEL to debug the program, doing either does not change anything.
            I went into System Information clicked on Software Environment, clicked on Running Tasks and found these four svchost.exe that were not available
                               Process Id            Priority
             svchost.exe  996                    8
                                 1208                  8
                                 1232                  8
                                 3580                  8

I thought I had posted this yesterday but I didn't see it so I am reposting this

kpac thank you I will check them out

Dusty

Egghead

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 11:19:32 PM »
          Righto.  I think you have an infection, the error shows that an attempt was made to write to a reserved address in ram.  Please post in the Computer Viruses and Spyware forum and link to this topic, one of the CH authorised malware removal team will advise you.

Note that it is normal to have more than one genuine Svchost.exe running.

Good luck.

Ralph12

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 07:40:09 AM »
            Thank you Dusty for your help and I will post this over there