Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: strange drive problems  (Read 2649 times)

stoneman69

strange drive problems
« on: March 12, 2005, 11:32:31 PM »
 Have a real mind bender here, I think. I had rebuild my pc due to the case being too small for the AS Rock motherboard I bought for an upgrade along with a 3.2 GHZ Intel pentium processor. I moved the original floppy drive, dvd rom drive(shows to be a gdr8161b in system), & the cd rw (shows to be gce8400b in system) to the new case. After getting it all set up & working, checked for bios upgrade for motherboard & flash new version. Did all windows xp updates, as well as norton anti-virus, spybot, & spyware blaster & have kept all updated ever since. All programs I originally had were all checked & operational, as well as all drives. There are NO virus or spyware issues with my machine. Had no problems & machine has functioned well. I got a couple of usb "jump" drives in January & they both worked, but I noticed that I could not use them when first plugged into my machine, even though windows saw them & loaded for them. I would have to restart my machine with them plugged in, in order to do anything with them. However, I don't have that problem when I use them on other xp machines. But that's NOT my real problem; I can live with this quirk, if I need to. My REAL problem is that both the dvd & cd drives as well as the floppy won't work correctly. I also have a Sratitec card reader installed which shows up as 5 drives, since it has 4 slots & reads a variety of memory cards. It also is not working. Everything shows up in device mngr & system with no problems & trying to update drivers and/or firmware doesn't help. Rolling back drivers doesn't help, restoring system to a variety of different times doesn't help, & unplugging all & reconnecting didn't help either. I have also changed from master & slave to cable select with no help either. And here's the REAL wierd part...I can put a music cd, installation/data cd, or a game cd in the drive & restart the machine & it will see it then & let me do whatever. But if I take it out & put it back in, I'm back to square one with it not being seen. I have even put the motherboard cd in the drive, done the restart & then tried updating the IDE drivers just incase something got changed. No help. I have tried each drive connected by itself.  I don't think the drives are bad, as they all worked with no problems & I can still use under strange circumstances.  I have NOT attempted to reflash the bios & have not yet tried the drives in another XP machine (since I don't really think that's the problem). And I have NOT tried a different IDE ribbon cable (since that is probably not the problem either). As a side note, at one point in the past when I first updated windows with SP2, both cd drives stopped working (but if I remember correctly, they weren't even seen by windows), so I took out the update & everything went back to normal. I have even gone so far as to pull it out again, but it made no difference this time, so it has been added back in again. Also, it's important to note the the "jump" drives are the only usb item I have to restart my pc in order to use. Any other thing I plug in, such as steering wheel/pedal controls or my original ImageMate dual card reader work without a restart.  ANY ideas or suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated, as I've run out of ideas, as well as 2 other pc friends of mine.  
Thanks in advance

JoeyC

Re: strange drive problems
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 06:48:32 AM »
Are you using Roxio as your burning software? If so make sure you have downloaded the latest patches for it otherwise it can cause problems like the one that you describe

Steve Stone

Re: strange drive problems
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 03:38:02 PM »
No, not using it. I use Nero most of the time, but have this problem, even with it uninstalled.