Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How can I mute sounds from the computer (not from the speaker)  (Read 9057 times)

Drd

Topic Starter

Hopeful

How can I mute sounds from the computer (not from the speaker)
    « on: September 22, 2008, 03:51:49 PM »
    Hello, I just got a new  PC (composite, no brand in particular), with external speakers attached.  My problem is that I can't figure out how  to mute the sounds that come from the computer itself, specifically the internet dial-up sound. It is really loud. On my laptop, I could just push the mute button and all the sounds went.
      When I go to Control Panel, and choose mute, only the external speakers are muted.  There is also a "mute" button on my keyboard but that doesn't help either.

What can I do to stop that sound from playing, or at least to turn it down.

Thank you.

Dr.D.

xavier

Re: How can I mute sounds from the computer (not from the speaker)
    « Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 06:36:39 PM »
    You would have to open the case & go to the front panel connections & dis connect the speaker connection. Make sure the power is dis connected !!

Drd

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 06:46:38 PM »
      Hello Mr. Xavier: I could never do something like opening my computer box!

By the way, the sound that I want to mute is the modem sound. I looked this up here in a search on computer hope and found advice to go to control panel, modem, properties, and then turn off the sound there. I did there, disconnected from my internet server, and reconnected, only to find that annoying sound.

Are you sure I have to fiddle with my actual computer? That's waaaaaay over my head!

Thanks.

By the way, my modem is: 56KGeneric HCF Data Fax Modem

xavier

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 07:01:10 PM »
      Get on the net & [google search modem sound] would be the best way so you may have to print more than i can type

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 08:07:12 PM »
      How to Turn Off Sound in a Dial-up Modem: http://www.ehow.com/how_2217904_off-sound-dial-up-modem.html

Drd

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 10:41:54 PM »
        Hello Mr. Broni:   Thank you for the link. Actually, I had searched "computer hope" for modem sound, and came up with the same directions. I carried them out, but unfortunately, the modem is still screeching away!  :o Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Dr.D

Drd

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 10:59:35 PM »
           YES! I  Googled modem sound turn off and found this site:
          http://www.logicaltips.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=112

Here is what a Susan Daffron said:

...modem parameters using the old Hayes AT command set. Most modems still understand these cryptic parameters. So, to turn off sound, go into the Control Panel, go to Modems, select your modem and click the Properties button. Click the Connection tab and click the Advanced button.

You see a fill-in box called "Extra Settings." This box is where you can include any modem initiation commands you want to include. In your case, you want the speaker turned off, so add ATM0 (that's a zero, not an o). Click OK twice, then Close.

In my XP, the process was a little different: Control Panel, Modems, Modem, Properties, Advanced, but it worked. Pass it on!

Dr. D

And thanks for reminding me to Google!

MICMAN888

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 12:50:49 PM »
            did not you could still get dial up  ;D :D ;D :D
            maybe try getting broadband :D :D
            Light travels faster than sound..that's why some people may appear bright until you hear them speak.

Broni

Mastermind
            • Kraków my love :)
              • Computer Help Forum
            • Computer: Specs
            • Experience: Experienced
            « Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 06:18:10 PM »
            Drd
            Thanks for the solution :)

Drd

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 11:50:56 PM »
              Mr. Broni and other friends at computer hope--I'm so glad I could add something positive this time. The fine folks at computer hope have helped me out SO many times!

About 5 years ago, I had a VERY old computer, with a low level pentium and  low memory. I was just getting started teaching online, and believe me it was tough! I used the expression that it was like trying to make pizza deliveries with a horse and wagon. All the guys on the  motorcycles were passing me up! But, the computer hope people helped me rev up my old computer, get gmail to avoid my email problems, and provided support as I worked  hard and finally saved enough to get a laptop. I think a Mr. Raptor was involved, as I recall. Thank God for computer hope! Now, we have a big PC and I'm still knocking on the doors of computer hope.

Glad I could be of help this time around, and provide a solution instead of a question! :)

senthilvalli

Intermediate

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 12:20:48 AM »
                Hello, I just got a new  PC (composite, no brand in particular), with external speakers attached.  My problem is that I can't figure out how  to mute the sounds that come from the computer itself, specifically the internet dial-up sound. It is really loud. On my laptop, I could just push the mute button and all the sounds went.
                  When I go to Control Panel, and choose mute, only the external speakers are muted.  There is also a "mute" button on my keyboard but that doesn't help either.

Thank you.

Dr.D.
                very simple.. just you goto contorl panle-->sound divies--> select all mute sound. ;)

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
                • Experience: Beginner
                « Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 01:26:53 AM »
                My problem is that I can't figure out how  to mute the sounds that come from the computer itself, specifically the internet dial-up sound. It is really loud. On my laptop, I could just push the mute button and all the sounds went.

Thank you.

Dr.D.
                very simple.. just you goto contorl panle-->sound divies--> select all mute sound. ;)

Senthilvalli - Please re-read the post, the OP did not want to mute the sound devices.
                One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.