Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need help learning JAVA, PLease!  (Read 3792 times)

tigergirl1871

Need help learning JAVA, PLease!
« on: March 13, 2005, 03:42:25 PM »
I'm very New to JAVA. I'm taking an "Intro to computing class". ( I don't plan on being a programmer, it's to complete my degree and it is a "required class) I need help in completing an assignment. I have many books but, I don't understand the instructions, in the book (s) to even get started. I 'm supposed to do the "Hello World" program (yeah I know for those of you who are experienced it's simple). Here's my problem:
It says to "Set the Path". I have no clear definition of what the "Path" is? My JDK was istalled on my C drive. To go on, the instructions say to: Type in: PATH c:\j2sdk1.4.2_07\bin; %PATH%. But if my JDK is already in C wouldn't I just type in the c:\ j2sdk(etc)? This class expects us to learn this in one week and write this stuff,  I"m usually quite sharp, but I just don't get it. I think I have a mental block.
I'm posting here because I also do not get any help from the class, I did try to get help from my school. I guess I'm just too stupid (They told me it was a stupid question) I'm very depressed over this, I've paid for the class and I don't want to have to drop it.
Please help me, I'm desperate, I only have w eek and a half til I'm done. :(

Sidewinder

Guru

• Experience: Familiar
Re: Need help learning JAVA, PLease!
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005, 04:35:03 PM »
I am not gonna take any credit for this. I found it on the net. It seems simple enough, but being a VB programmer, it's all Greek to me.

class HelloWorld
{  
       public static void main(String args[])
       {
          System.out.println("Hello World!");
       }
}

Good luck with your studies.  8)
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.

-- Albert Einstein

gussery

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005, 04:36:34 PM »
tigergirl.

A path is a list of folders that the computer will search when looking for a file.  When programs are installed on a computer sometimes they will add pointers to themselves in the path. (Sorta like walking down the yellow brick road, with a map).

Now when you are being instructed to set the path, the JAVA program is wanting to add pointers to it's folder to the existing path.  Hence, :\j2sdk1.4.2_07\bin; %PATH%.

%PATH% is a shortcut to calling out the existing path.  So in essence the JAVA program is adding itself to the existing path.

An example, lets say the path on your computer is c:\somestuff;c:\somemorestuff.  Typing the line above in the command prompt  would give you a path of
c:\j2sdk1.4.2_07\bin;c:\somestuff;c:\somemorestuff

It adds the path to the JAVA app to the existing path on your computer.

Clear as mud?? :)

Tina Bolland

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 04:30:25 AM »
Thanks, I'll give it a try!

houssam

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2005, 07:14:48 AM »
please can anybody tells me more about the Java runtime environment, and what are the tools that enables us to work with JBuilder?
since I am working with JBuilderX?
plus I wana ask about how to convert from the .class files to make an executable file .exe?

Houssam B.