Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Desktop Save As Background  (Read 4452 times)

foxygrandma

Windows Desktop Save As Background
« on: September 24, 2008, 09:42:42 PM »
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
Dell Inc. Dimension 4700, IE7.
 Processor a 3.20 gigahertz Intel Pentium 416-kilobyte primary memory cache1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache.
DRIVES: 160.03 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
152.59 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

I did a Windows Clean Install a couple of days ago.   Now, when I see a graphic I would like to use as a background on my desktop, it does not work.   When I right-click and select Set As Background, it takes me right to the desktop and the screen is all blue with all of my icons on them (whereas it was the Azul desktop).   It will change back to Azul okay, but will not change to any other.

Before I did the Clean Install it worked okay.  But like tonight from my Yahoo email I want to show a glittering angel on my desktop but it will not work.   Before it always would.

It will not work either if I go to a website, see a picture that I like

Anyone know what is wrong?  Many thanks.

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Windows Desktop Save As Background
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 10:20:42 PM »
Try this method:
Right click on the Desktop, and go to Display Properties. Then click the "Background"
Find the image (if you want one off the Internet, save it to your computer first)

foxygrandma

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 11:43:05 PM »
Hope I am posting in the right place. :)

When go to Display Properties, there is no background.  The tabs are:    Themes, Desktop, Screen Saver, Appearance, Settings

If I go to Desktop, there is a graphic of a dolphin swimming which I had tried to use as background, but it would not work.  If I go to Themes I changed it to Windows XP (it was the classic) Now I have a desktop that is green hills with blue skies.   Think I am confused.   Doggoned the Clean Install worked very well until this problem arose.
 ???

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
Dell Inc. Dimension 4700, IE7.
 Processor a 3.20 gigahertz Intel Pentium 416-kilobyte primary memory cache1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache.
DRIVES: 160.03 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
152.59 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

I did a Windows Clean Install a couple of days ago.  NOW, when I see a graphic I would like to use as a background on my desktop, it does not work.   When I right-click and select Set As Background, it takes me right to the desktop and the screen is all blue with all of my icons on them (whereas it was the Azul desktop).   It will change back to Azul okay, but will not change to any other.

Before I did the Clean Install it worked okay.  But like tonight from my Yahoo email I want to show a glittering angel on my desktop but it will not work.   Before it always would.

It will not work either if I go to a website, see a picture that I like

Anyone know what is wrong?  Many thanks.

coolbossov

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 11:52:27 PM »
    What Zylstra is saying:

Right click desktop->properties (desktop tab)->browse.
    chose the file  you want as desktop and then OK.

foxygrandma

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 12:20:41 AM »

Uh, Oh, When I click Browse, that takes me to My Pictures, Sample Pictures

Now when I go to Explore. My Documents, My Pictures, all of my pictures are gone.

I have a registry backup of September 23 where all of my Windows Updates were okay.  Maybe I better try that.

Just tried going to Desktop, Themes and changed it back to Classic.  Now it is a blue screen with all of my icons.   Now when I go to Browse, it shows Quick Launch and Internet Explorer Wallpaper.  I deleted the Internet Explorer Wallpaper and now it just shows Sample Pictures.   Whew!   Too much for my 73-year-old brain.   Think tomorrow, rather later today as it is 2:15 AM, I should do my registry restore.

I cannot imagine what happened!

What Zylstra is saying:

alan1000

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 04:28:32 AM »
      Not sure I quite follow all of this thread, but generally, if you see an image you would like to keep as a wallpaper option, just copy it to your C:\Windows\Web\Wallpaper folder.  Then, whenever you open the Desktop tab in Display Properties, you will see it listed as one of the options.

foxygrandma

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 09:08:25 AM »

Thank you.   I have been trying that numerous times - photos of Eisenhower, women fighter pilots, etc., and it works.   BUT instead of one image appearing on the desktop there are many images.   This has happened with any graphic I have tried.
       ???

Now when I go to Explore. My Documents, My Pictures, all of my pictures are gone.

I have a registry backup of September 23 where all of my Windows Updates were okay.  Maybe I better try that.

Just tried going to Desktop, Themes and changed it back to Classic.  Now it is a blue screen with all of my icons.   Now when I go to Browse, it shows Quick Launch and Internet Explorer Wallpaper.  I deleted the Internet Explorer Wallpaper and now it just shows Sample Pictures.   Whew!   Too much for my 73-year-old brain.   Think tomorrow, rather later today as it is 2:15 AM, I should do my registry restore.

What Zylstra is saying:

alan1000

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 02:38:23 AM »
        "instead of one image appearing on the desktop there are many images..."

It sounds as though you have the 'Tile' option selected (look at the Desktop tab, towards the lower right, where it says 'Position').

Open the Position selector, and highlight either 'Center' or 'Stretch'.  The latter will expand (or shrink) a picture so that it fills your screen exactly.

foxygrandma

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 05:28:41 AM »

Thank you, Alan.   Just tried that and it just stays the same - my desktop.  Now, there is no picture on it.   

When I restart, a picture of an army helicopter comes up and then it goes to my desktop where there is no picture but all of my icons are on there.

Thank you.   I have been trying that numerous times - photos of Eisenhower, women fighter pilots, etc., and it works.   BUT instead of one image appearing on the desktop there are many images.   This has happened with any graphic I have tried.
         ???

What Zylstra is saying:

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
          • Obituary
        • Experience: Beginner
        Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

foxygrandma

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 06:07:48 AM »

The only item listed in the Web tab is My Current Home page and it is unchecked.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000593.htm

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 02:02:51 PM »
        Just click on Reply when posting an answer here...no need to Quote each message above.

As far as your issue is Active Desktop enabled ? ?
        You will find this by also right clicking a blank area of the Desktop...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

foxygrandma

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 05:14:45 PM »
        okay, thanks about clicking on Reply
         :)
        It was unchecked, but I checked it,  then it did something weird.  Half of my screen was the desktop and the other half was Yahoo, then a message popped up that said Internet Explorer cannot download.  Unspecified error.  So I unchecked it and it came back to the desktop, with a mountain and my icons on it. ???