Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HP Pavillion will not start up!!  (Read 2449 times)

ismoky

HP Pavillion will not start up!!
« on: September 30, 2008, 03:34:30 PM »
Greetings and salutations to all.  I am hoping for any insight someone may be able to give.

I have a HP Pavilion DV6000 that my wife uses primarily for school.  It is as it came out of the box about 2 years ago running Windows Vista Premium with all updates and service packs.  It has AMD Turion processor but I cannot recall the speed and 1GB Ram

Beginning yesterday the machine simply will not start up.  When attempting to turn it on the neat little blue lights for the media controls light up, the HD indicator light comes on only very briefly....then nothing.  Completely black screen no signs of life at all other than the blue lights.  If left alone long enough (30 seconds, sometimes longer) the lights go out and same process repeats. 

I've tried removing and reinstalling RAM as was listed in the help section on HP site and removing battery and power supply then pressing "on" for a few seconds then reconnecting (again a tip on HP site) with no luck at all.  Only sign of life in it at all is the little blue lights across top of keyboard and that the fan does start for only a moment then shuts off.  Do I have a high priced door stopper or is there hope it may survive?

ChrisXPPro

Adviser

• Forever Learning
    • ACB Systems
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: HP Pavillion will not start up!!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 05:47:48 PM »
Not sure there is anything I can offer but - as ever in these situations wonder if anything has been very recently installed or changed.

It seems you can't of course even reach safe mode but - wonder if it would boot from the OS CD.  When power is on - will CD drawer even open?

There is somewhat of a hint of something having failed of 'door stopper' magnitude but for now - let's see what other folks have to offer.
Ain't technology great - until it goes wrong!

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: HP Pavillion will not start up!!
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 06:10:25 PM »
Borrow a known good PSU from a friend of the same or greater wattage and swap it in there...
If it runs get a new PSU.

Do yourself a favor and don't get a twenty dollar special...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "