Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dual booting with 2 XP versions  (Read 2670 times)

giogom

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• "Only constant in the universe is change." Kepler
    Dual booting with 2 XP versions
    « on: September 23, 2008, 07:01:37 AM »
    My "old" c:drive decided to go south but I had it backed up. The original OS install had been
    working flawlessly and I had installed a generous amount of progs/utilities etc., and collected a great deal of email (Thunderbird)  and bookmarks (Firefox). I had kept the
    system regularly defragged,  maintained (RegCure), and protected (AVG, SPyBoot, Trojan
    Hunter). Trouble started when I attempted to install SP3. A blue screen rapidly flashed,
    not long enough to read it, and that was that. Booting stopped. Install CD could not repair.
    Concluded a new HDD was needed, so I got one and installed it. I have a dual Opteron
    244 on a     TYAN Thunder K8WE S2895, with 4 SATA onboard adaptors (0-3) connecting to 3 (non raid-ed) SATA drives including "old" c:. The thought occurred to me to get a Seagate 500GB SATA drive (same make as the 2 remaining ones on one of which the c: backup was stored) and that to save time re-installing all progs (and updates) and also recuperating all other stuff from "old c:") I might do a clean install of XP Pro on the first
    partition and restore the "old c:" on the second one. In other words have both, the new and the old XP installation available in a dual boot config.I would then back up the new install (slender because practically just the root stuff) This would give me a very efficient way to get into the system if problems occurred, as opposed to go into Install CD, etc., etc.,  I edited the Booit.init as follows
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional 2" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Alas, the "old C:" (now on second partition of new HDD as "New Volume H:" does not boot,
    pointing to a "corrupt ntoskernl.exe" file with the advice to re-install it. I looked at the
    System32 folder of te "old c:" drive and the file was missing(?) so I made a copy of the one
    of the new XP install and pasted it. To no avail. So I looked at the Boot.init file n the restored "old c:" and got this:

[boot loader]
    timeout=20
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional"  /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    ;C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

Puzzled by the reference to "Recovery Console" /cmdcons", could this be a left-over from
    the attempt to repair the "old C:"? I left it untouched.
    Thinking the partition might need changing I altered it to "2",b ut that didn't help either.

My questions is: does the boot file of the restore c: XP play a part, or is it redundant?
    What am I doing wrong and is there something else I could try to successfully bring up the "old c:" stuff as a second boot up option. It would make everything so simple :-).
    I explored you very excellent site for similar occurrences but didn't find one. A lot of good
    info on dual booting W2K/XP, even WIN98/XP, etc., but not on "dual XP". Help would be
    much appreciated as the time saved is precious. 

coolbossov

Rookie

Re: Dual booting with 2 XP versions
      « Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 09:00:26 AM »
      Hey,
      What i would do is use ERD commander (can download at microsoft) to repair the file system on the second partition and then use the windows recovery console to fix the boot file.

If you dont know it google it!

What parts of the Old partition you are tring to save? The OS, the apps, documents?

giogom

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 09:26:03 AM »
        Many thanks, I'll google it. I'm trying to save it all. The restore already gave me all
        the data as such, obviously the programs don't all work and, more important
        the partition does not boot up, and, wanting to learn from this, I would like to
        know why not and if I'm making wrong assumptions in my logic, as outlined in previous message.  Perhaps it's not possible to use thew same OS in a dual boot config, or
        I'm making mistakes in bootinit file "path" to the restored "old c:"??

giogom

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 04:56:23 PM »
          Hi, I looked up and am downloading ERD (64MB!), but I fear it's one of those programs you can easily get lost in but I'll have a go. Meantime,  could you possibly be so kind and comment on my questions in original message. I thought I followed a legitimate path I could explain to myself but without success, so it's good if not essential for future reference to know what one is or has been doing wrong. I'm a video editor and as much as I'm fascinated by the inner
          workings of computers, I'd rather be editing, a complex enough activity but one I can
          solve problems in :D!!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 04:59:58 PM »
          Obviously no longer relevant but your original problem was likely not a failed hard disk. It would have been best to determine what the blue screen was by disabling automatic restart on error.
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
          « Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 05:53:41 PM »
          Puzzled by the reference to "Recovery Console" /cmdcons", could this be a left-over from
          the attempt to repair the "old C:"?

This is an option to boot into the XP Recovery Console which has, at some time, been installed on your hard drive, see kb307654 and kb216417.  You need to remove the leading ";" from the entry in your boot.ini file.

One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

giogom

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 05:51:33 AM »
            I got ERD COMMANDER (impressive) but it didn't recognize my restore of  "old c:" (now on e:)
            and I'm beginning to wonder what happens when one uses built-in backup (bkf). By chance, I had backed  up before the HDD crashed and, before restoring "old c:" I did a clean-install on new drive/partition (new c:) from CD. This install had to be re-authentified because the original Product Key didn't work and I got a new one from MS.
            Is it possible that the non-recognizing of the restore has something to do with this?
            When dual booting, what exactly does a restored system need? Must it be put on the c: partition? Can one somehow check if what is needed is present? I got ALL (visible) files restored including progs and data. But it just won't appear in the boot up options, and, as said, ERD doesn't recognize it either.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 02:06:09 PM »
            You never how exactly this "backup" was originally created...this may affect things.
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

giogom

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 03:01:08 PM »
              I used the built-in tools/backup wizard (advanced) on 2 sessions, first a complete backup of
              c: and then an incremental one a couple of weeks later.

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 03:27:48 PM »
              I may be wrong on this but i don't think the built-in XP backup utility will create a proper bootable image file for restore...
              For this you need an image program such as Ghost or my personal favorite Acronis True Image...
              It's a shame MS can get away with misleading people like this... >:(
              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "