Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: A Few HDD Questions.  (Read 2655 times)

jason69uk

A Few HDD Questions.
« on: March 14, 2005, 01:11:37 PM »
Question 1:

I partitioned a 160 GB Maxtor HDD into seperate drives. There is a part of the drive i cut a load of data to and all the other partitions were cloned from other drives. Why isit that when on searching on the part of the drive cut to the drive makes a louder loading sound than it did if i were to search on another part of the drive?

Question 2:

I bought a 120 GB External Western Digital Hard Disk Drive.
I have stupidly been unplugging the drive withoyt stopping it in windows which i heard was not a good idea. I did this after copying stuff from other drives to it so i should be ok shouldn't i?
Anyway if i'm not ok and it HAS corrupted the files on there, is there software to scan the drive and fix what it's corrupted if it has corrupted that is. Would Spinrite 6.0 sort this sort of problem out?
Would this also have corrupted the unwritten part of the drive?

Corrosive

Re: A Few HDD Questions.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 01:26:31 PM »
Re: Stopping the device. Yes, you really should stop it before yanking out the cable, although as you rightly say if the drive isn't being read from or written to at the time, you're data should be safe.

Having said that, get into the habit of stopping the drive before you pull it out. There are many occasions I've looked at the lights on my USB data stick, noticed them go from fast flashing (drive activity) to slow flashing (erm, no drive activity), to then briefly being read from/written to again. Just in case, eh?

As for the rest of the questions, I'm not going to guess at that - I simply don't know enough about it.

jason69uk

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 01:28:46 PM »
Not a problem.
Would just like to say, looking through the other posts people have written you guys do a good job of your technical support. keep it up!!

:)

jason69uk

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 01:30:53 PM »
Spinrite is a bit of software i would recommend to everyone here.

It does a much better job than norton disk doctor and ontrack recovery.

It creates a boot disk and has its own OS. Does a full 4 hour scan on the hard drive in depth recvoering bad sectors.

Very good prog!!