Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Western Digital Internal Hard Drive  (Read 2925 times)

NCPRIUS

Topic Starter

Rookie

Western Digital Internal Hard Drive
    « on: September 26, 2008, 04:23:01 PM »
    I have a genealogy software program (and the associated files) installed on a completely separate internal hard drive (L:/). There is nothing else on this hard drive. All other programs are on the main internal hard drive (C:/). Recently the genealogy program failed to open due to file corruption (that's what the warning message said anyway). After spending a lot of time trying to get it to open, I decided to reformat the L:/ drive and reinstall the genealogy software. About an half-hour into the formatting the electrical power went off. After it booted back up I ran the format hard drive again 3 or 4 times (it took hours) but it didn't work. I can see the hard drive listed in the "My Computer" window but it has no "properties" and doesn't work at all.

I'm running Vista Premium and the hard drive is Western Digital WD2500KS (WD Cavier SE16).

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.     

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Western Digital Internal Hard Drive
    « Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 05:06:46 PM »
    I would suggest travelling to WD's site and DLoading the DATA Lifeguard tools.
    Follow the instructions for creating a bootable CD with the tools on it.
    Use the tool that is for preparing a new drive for first use...
    Good Luck !
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

NCPRIUS

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 08:43:47 AM »
      Thanks patioo but WD's Data Lifeguard Tool (for this hard drive) won't install or work in Vista. When trying to install it, a message appears and says it only works in XP or earlier Operating Systems appears and it cancels the installation. WD's Diagnostic Tool does work in Vista but it can't fix anything. Do you have any other suggestions? Thanks.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 10:15:08 AM »
      No.
      They are not designed to work inside Windows...although there is a version for this...
      You want the ones that will create a boot CD..
      Click Here and follow the instructions.
      After making the CD put it in the drive and re-boot.

NCPRIUS

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 06:44:19 AM »
        I have burned the bootable CD but now I'm afraid to run it. Why? Because I have everything on my main drive (C:/) and I don't know if the boot CD just goes right to C:/ (and wipes it) or gives me the choice to pick the drive I really want to fix (which is L:/).

I'm sorry to be so dense. I do appreciate your help.   

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 07:37:51 AM »
        It will ask which drive you want to work on but it may not ID it as L:\.....it's best to use the model # or if the other drive C:\ is a different brand you will be able to tell them apart..

NCPRIUS

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 07:43:02 AM »
          Patio - Thanks for all your help. I think I'm just going to buy another hard drive and install it. When I boot using the CD it tells me that there is already a version of Windows on my computer and proceeding further may result in creating problems (not the exact wording of course). I can't take the chance on wiping (or otherwise maiming) my main drive (C:/). I'm just not expert enough in this area. Thanks again!