Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: cd rom trouble  (Read 3158 times)

rjteague

cd rom trouble
« on: March 14, 2005, 03:01:09 PM »
I have a creative cd rom (cd5233E) that has stopped working properly.  It started when I tried to install an ethernet card that didnot work and was removed.  Now My Computer shows a cd rom as d drive but device manager shows no cd rom.  In properties for d drive, it shows nothing for system files ( it should have FAT here).  The cd rom will play music through the cd player program and it will install software.   However, when I try to record music into media player, I get error message about not reading digital and computer has switched to analog.  

I have tried removing and reinstalling cd rom as well as reinstalling the driver.  No luck.  Also no luck with recommended driver from creative labs.  (I am using win 98se).

neo_wraith

Re: cd rom trouble
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 02:18:47 PM »
Windows could be confused.  Also turn the power off.  Get inside your case disconnect the ethernet card, and the cd-rom. .Then unplug power plugs to your mother board reset bios by removing the jumper and placing it back on. put everything back together first the power plugs on your mother board, then the cables on the cd-rom then boot up...Bios should now see it..also download any drivers it may need from its manufacturer...Windows Xp has this thing about compatible hardware...it blows, but what are you going to do.  >:(

neo_wraith

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 02:23:10 PM »
Should have read more carefully...Your hardware is probably not compatible with 98.  If it is a newer Rom.  Windows does its best to make you buy the latest operating system.  Also if you have an older computer it may not support the connectors...if its ATA or Better than IDE.  Most devices are ATA or non IDE anymore...they use faster connectors.  You may need to get an older cd-rom.  One that just says IDE...The way you can check if it ATA is if one end of the connectors on the plug is Blue.  Also the pins are slightly different.

neo_wraith

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 02:24:44 PM »
Is it USB? or internal?

rjteague

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 02:38:32 PM »
I am using win 98 se; my cd rom is compatible as it worked for several years on this computer; it is an internal cd rom.  I dont understand your instructions -- explain what you mean by power plugs to mother board and what jumper are you talking about;  I assume you mean the cd rom jumper.  I have removed it several times trying different locations.  Should I power up before I replace the jumper?  I need better instructions.

neo_wraith

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 03:02:37 PM »
Sorry I will try to explain in detail...

1. Turn off power
2. disconnect power connectors on motherboard..On an atx there is usually a four pin connector which has two on top two on the bottom. the other I believe has 12 pins.
3. Disconnect the cd-rom drive, power cable connector and the cable going into your IDE port and the back of the CD-Rom.
4. Check the manual or go to creative and found out which jumper on the cdrom makes it a slave or master.  Select whatever suites your needs.
5. Look on the motherboard there should be a three pin jumper connector on the motherboard, with a jumper stuck on two of the pins..on the motherboard it should say either cmos or bios.  Take the jumper connector off and place it on the one that it didnt cover it..then take off again.
6. Reconnect the drive to the IDE.
7. Replace the jumper on the orgional pins on the cmos/bios (this will reset your cmos setup)
8. Replug power connectors on motherboard and cd-rom
9. Power back on
10. Wait for screen then hit del this will put you in cmos
11. Look to see if it is reading your drive. It will say.
12. If it does see it. Exit cmos and wait for windows.
13. Windows should say found new hardware
14 go through all that it tells you..reinstall drivers and reboot.

If this doesnt work take it to a repair place or check the IDE port with the cable from your hard drive...if it still doesnt read..that means that the IDE port is bad and you probably should get a new computer.