Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: After black "setup" screen another black screen comes on  (Read 2006 times)

pineapplejeani

Topic Starter

Rookie

After black "setup" screen another black screen comes on
    « on: September 27, 2008, 02:09:05 PM »
    Over the past week I've been fixing my mom's pc which was LOADED with viruses, trojans spyware etc.  You name it she had it, I think. :)  Thanks to evilfantasy it seems to be back to normal except for this one thing.  He told me to ask you over here on this forum.  I did a search as directed but couldn't find my exact problem:

When I load windows now, after the black "setup" screen another screen comes on asking me to select Windows XP Professional or Window XP Home edition.  Pro is highlighted and there is a countdown timer that says something like "the highlighted item will be selected in XX seconds or press enter".  How can I bypass that?  It's a minor inconvenience after what I just went through with the malware but if mom has to click something that might get her in trouble...I have a feeling she'll manage it ;)

Thanks in advance.
    Jeani

pineapplejeani

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: After black "setup" screen another black screen comes on
      « Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 02:18:15 PM »
      PS. It's a Dell Intel Celeron 2.53GHz w 256RAM running Windows XP pro w/ SP3

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 03:58:11 PM »
      That's the dual-boot selection screen displayed by the Ntldr.   Edit your Boot.ini file using sysdm.cpl to delete the line which refers to Windows XP Home Edition..  MS Kb289022 is the reference and is found here.. Please do not omit the back-up of Boot.ini before you amend it.

Note that this does not remove XP Home from the hdd, just stops the dual-boot screen from appearing.

Good luck
      One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

pineapplejeani

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 11:57:08 AM »
        That was easier than I thought it would be.  Thanks!

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 03:26:22 PM »
        Thanks for coming back to report your success.
        One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.