Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Optical drive unable to play DVDs- decoder issues  (Read 3856 times)

mickapoo

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Optical drive unable to play DVDs- decoder issues
    « on: October 03, 2008, 07:41:58 AM »
    I have been trying to play a DVD. I can play CDs just fine, but it's DVDs that are giving me issues. The DVD contains a movie (it's a regular DVD, not one that was burned from a computer).

When I try to play it using Media Player, I receive a message that I do not have a decoder installed. It routed me to the Windows website, and from there it ran a test on my laptop to see what was installed. It told me the decoder was already there. ??

If I try to play the movie using Real Player, I get an error message that says I need the decoder, and it brings me to the Real Player site to d/l it. Once I get there I get an error message that says I need DVD software.

I have an HP Pavilion DV4000 laptop with 1 gig of RAM running Windows XP Home. I'm not sure what other info you need.

Thank you for your help!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Optical drive unable to play DVDs- decoder issues
    « Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 07:57:52 AM »
    Try VLC media player and see what happens...FREE.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

mickapoo

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 08:01:47 AM »
      I've tried that. I try to play the dvd and nothing happens. I do prefer to use Media Player though, as they have the tracks lined up (the menu) and with VLC from their website it doesn't look as though you can see the tracks menu.

However, it still wouldn't solve my decoder issue. Any ideas?

Thank you!

Ryan

Hopeful

• Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 08:09:12 AM »
        Have you tried Cyberlink PowerDVD?  That's a good program to me.  (I use it, that's for certain.)

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 08:18:01 AM »
        Have you tried Cyberlink PowerDVD?  That's a good program to me.  (I use it, that's for certain.)
        PowerDVD Isn't free.

Mickapoo, have you always had this problem? Does the DVD work on other machines?
        In fact, can you watch other DVD's?

mickapoo

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 08:26:17 AM »
          Mickapoo, have you always had this problem? Does the DVD work on other machines?
          In fact, can you watch other DVD's?

I'm really not sure- this is the first time I've tried to play DVDs on my computer. The DVD does work normally on other machines. I can't watch any other DVDs either. I get the same message regarding a decoder that is missing.

Thank you!

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 04:33:36 PM »
            mickapoo, Check this out. hope it solves your problem. http://www.updatexp.com/dvd-decoder-media-player-windows.html  truenorth