Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Browsers and CPU  (Read 10299 times)

ChrisXPPro

Topic Starter

Adviser

• Forever Learning
    • ACB Systems
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Browsers and CPU
« on: September 28, 2008, 01:37:32 PM »
This is not actually browser specific but am interested to know if other folks see anything similar sometimes.

Most of time whether IE7 or Firefox (latest v2) ..... CPU runs at low - 0 or 1% .. and of course rises a bit during some downloads - then restabilizes to low.

However, some sites do seem to contain code that can hike CPU up to (in my case) around 50% and it stays there - which slows things and it is almost like browser is gonna lock up - but not quite.  My main culprit seems to be webmail - which I keep open to check for email in my suspect spam list at intervals thru the day.... closing that can free up CPU - or I close and reopen browser (either).

The webmail page does contain a flash banner but, it can stay open sometimes for long periods with no effect - then however loading another tab with a new site can precipitate the CPU going high.  On occasions in fact the browser does reach a ''not responding'' stage.

So - just wondering what others find that might be similar - just observations and thoughts.
Ain't technology great - until it goes wrong!

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Browsers and CPU
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 01:46:46 PM »
I used to find that Flash and Java, or lots of Javascript or other scripts could slow down my browser.
With my dual core I've never noticed it at all though.
Just my input.

ChrisXPPro

Topic Starter

Adviser

• Forever Learning
    • ACB Systems
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 01:55:57 PM »
Thx Calum.  Well it is something I used to also see at times on my old system but am now running duo core myself and yet see this happening.

Just a guess here but - the 50% I see makes me wonder whether one core is being hogged, as it rarely goes higher, tho maybe 51% or 52% briefly.

It'd be interesting to know the mechanism which induces this.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 07:42:35 PM »
err- if you have dual cores you'll have two CPU usage graphs in task manager... From what you've said- it sounds like you only have one graph.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

ChrisXPPro

Topic Starter

Adviser

• Forever Learning
    • ACB Systems
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 07:50:22 PM »
err- if you have dual cores you'll have two CPU usage graphs in task manager... From what you've said- it sounds like you only have one graph.

Correct - yes two graphs but I shrink the display down to a small square (CPU usage) - just to save space and let me see percentile use.

That said - you have reminded me most usefully (thanks  :) ) - that next time it sits on this 50% region I must expand the taskmanager and check graphs.  Duh - I forgot that. ::)

Don't get old BC_ - it sucks!  ;D

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 08:25:24 PM »
oh ok- so it probably is firefox/IE7 hogging a CPU- tells us that it's something both programs use.

Actually- I thought about it for a while- and we've all heard about FF mem usage- maybe you should check that the next time this happens?

Could actually be the kernel using up the CPU, trying to page out all of Firefox's Cache to disk.

This is pure speculation...

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 02:43:00 AM »
I did check your specs Chris and it does seem odd to me that you're getting these slowdowns with a dual core and 2GB of RAM.
That's why I said I've never seen it on my dual core, but I have on my older (single core) machines.

ChrisXPPro

Topic Starter

Adviser

• Forever Learning
    • ACB Systems
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 09:07:43 AM »
Yes, odd indeed - but have to say it is not an overly frequent occurrance fortunately.  Hope it will stay that way!

I can go thru a whole day or more without this happening but there again it can happen twice in a day.  I just keep watch on CPU levels these days and try and spot a problem early so as to close browser and reopen ..... and I guess on balance expect IE to be the more usual culprit!.  I was almost surprised to see it happen the once in FF.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 09:13:11 AM »
hey wait a sec- I get slowdown/crashes periodically too. Usually happens every week or two, I'll click a link, and wait. And wait. And wait. Tab out to another prog- come back later, and it's claiming a script is busy or something similar. I press stop, and can click the link again no prob...

Could be add-on/plugin related?

ChrisXPPro

Topic Starter

Adviser

• Forever Learning
    • ACB Systems
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 09:22:52 AM »
In my case BC_ if things reach this stage, the browser goes so sluggish that even a tab change is very very slow ..... and so I either close the tab I suspect as being the culprit or simply close browser entirely.

Next time I will for sure inspect my CPU actual graphs and see if my supposition is correct, that one core is saturated and so bogged right down.

My add-ons count is very low - in fact I have none on IE - having found some time ago that something I added (on old machine) did seem to worsen stability.  In FF I have just a few such as side bar, web developer, DOM inspector and show IP - and have not found any noticeable disadvantages from those over time.

Dias de verano

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 11:47:15 AM »

Correct - yes two graphs but I shrink the display down to a small square (CPU usage) - just to save space and let me see percentile use.

That said - you have reminded me most usefully (thanks  :) ) - that next time it sits on this 50% region I must expand the taskmanager and check graphs.  Duh - I forgot that. ::)

Don't get old BC_ - it sucks!  ;D

(Tongue in cheek but still true) Task Manager is for wimps, girly boys and l0s0rs with only one core. Men use Process Explorer and set it to replace Task Manager. They probably add it to their Startup section in the Start Menu too.

Get it here

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Here it is with a graph in my system tray area

I only have one core in my hyperthreading enabled P4 (Prescott), but it presents 2 virtual cores. You can see one core is shown in green and one in red. Also it can optionally be set to show CPU history as you can see.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 11:51:55 AM »
I've got all Sysinternals utilities and use them fairly often- I don't have process explorer set to run at startup because it gobbles a lot of my CPU time. I've used it successfully with it's  listing of loaded dlls to remove malware several times.

ChrisXPPro

Topic Starter

Adviser

• Forever Learning
    • ACB Systems
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 11:55:01 AM »
Wimp here Dias !  ;D

BC_ mentions the CPU gobbling aspect of process Explorer - which IIRC I tried out on my Lenovo backup.  Useful to consider tho and thx for the mention.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 11:57:42 AM »
Now- ChrisXPPro my computers are quite old- my fastest being a 1.6Ghz P4- slowest (working) thinkpad with 75mhz Pentium... and since you've got a Dual Core, it'll barely affect you at all.

Dias de verano

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2008, 12:42:12 PM »
I don't have process explorer set to run at startup because it gobbles a lot of my CPU time.

As for the CPU usage?  Yes, I get that, too. By default, Process Explorer seems to launch itself with Priority of High.  You can change it to Normal or whatever by using Process Explorer. (!)  There is also a command-line switch (/p) you can use to make it start at a different priority. It helps a little.  Also, keeping the lower pane disabled unless I need it helps a bit.

I've often wondered if it is really using that much CPU or if it is just some by-product of how it hooks in to the OS.

It shows itself as using between about 4% and 7%. I don't mind that, I can spare it.

ChrisXPPro

Topic Starter

Adviser

• Forever Learning
    • ACB Systems
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2008, 02:12:35 PM »
and since you've got a Dual Core, it'll barely affect you at all.

It shouldn't I agree - but fact is when that CPU % sits on 50 or so when this problem occurs - it slows things very significantly!  Sluggish in fact.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2008, 06:52:14 PM »
and since you've got a Dual Core, it'll barely affect you at all.

It shouldn't I agree - but fact is when that CPU % sits on 50 or so when this problem occurs - it slows things very significantly!  Sluggish in fact.

I meant Process Explorer- not the firefox problem. I think we kind of got dragged off-topic there for a few posts. Absolutely no idea who caused it, not a clue at all.

and quit rubbing it in there- when your at 50% your pretty much using a single core CPU- are you calling my comp sluggish? :)

ChrisXPPro

Topic Starter

Adviser

• Forever Learning
    • ACB Systems
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2008, 06:58:08 PM »
and quit rubbing it in there- when your at 50% your pretty much using a single core CPU- are you calling my comp sluggish? :)

Not trying to rub it in!  ;)  :)

I had this occur again today and when checking (yeah - only taskmanager!) - one core was approx 30% and the other 60% - so not something hogging one core only it seems.

Interesting tho - IIRC I left IE with only two or three tabs open - and when I came back in office at some point noticed the CPU activity as high.  Hard to know what transitions it from near quiescent to super active!  ??? 

IE had in fact this time pretty much locked up and showed as unresponding so - closed it and re opened.  Seems to be a function of browser stability.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2008, 07:02:57 PM »
what about VM usage?

I encounter this problem when I leave Firefox idle on a page with javascript- I can't switch tabs or anything in the meantime either, and if I switch to something else and return, it doesn't paint itself.

I don't use IE7 enough to know if it happens to me with that as well.

Personally- when that happens, it usually means I should restart Firefox. I'm sure there is a fix, and if anybody finds one, I would also like to hear it as well.

ChrisXPPro

Topic Starter

Adviser

• Forever Learning
    • ACB Systems
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2008, 06:43:50 AM »
Ahh yes - VM - forgot to mention that.

Well I did notice it was showing about 750Mb approx.  Setting is 2Gb min and 4Gb max.  Did not remember tho at the time to inspect HDD activity.

Your FF comment re idle on a JScript page does tie in with what I notice pretty much and IE of course is I think in essence doing same thing.  Haven't seen if Opera does it as I don't use that much any more.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2008, 09:00:59 AM »
Try 2G min AND max...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

ChrisXPPro

Topic Starter

Adviser

• Forever Learning
    • ACB Systems
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2008, 09:13:29 AM »
Try 2G min AND max...

Do you mean max unspecified?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2008, 09:26:51 AM »
he means to change your Pagefile settings to 2G minimum and maximum- this will prevent pagefile fragmentation. While likely not the source of your problem, pagefile fragmentation is something best avoided.

But- ChrisXPPro- I was referring to the memory usage of Firefox in that wussy program, Task manager. In the select Columns tab, there is a "Virtual Memory Usage" selection, or something similar.

For me, right now- firefox Mem usage is around 75MB, and Firefox VM usage is 64MB...

However, your memory usage numbers may be more, irregular.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2008, 09:29:49 AM »
Process Explorer will also give you a much more accurate reading...FREE
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "