Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Keyboard and Mouse Don't Work, but not broken  (Read 8700 times)

pkdawg

Keyboard and Mouse Don't Work, but not broken
« on: October 10, 2004, 09:48:22 AM »
I was shutting down my computer and right after I hit shutdown I turned off my external soundcard that is plgged in via firewire. (Soundcard is powered by power adapter not the firewire). Since then whenever I boot up I get my desktop in Windows XP, but my mouse and keyboard down't work. My initial thought is maybe the firewire shorted out the motherboard???? The firewire plugs into an onboard port not a separate PCI slot with firewire. Maybe it's Windows, but I just don't know. I tried getting to the bios bofore Windows lauches and the keyboard won't even work to get me there. Is my Motherboard onboard port fried????

Mac

Re: Keyboard and Mouse Don't Work, but not broken
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2004, 11:10:37 AM »
If they are USB connected try using PS2.

pkdawg

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2004, 12:38:20 PM »
They are not USB, but I just borrowed my friends USB mouse and keyboard and they worked.  I would rather be able to keep using what I have.  I takes less processing speed.  I need as much as possible since I do Audio and Video recording.  USB takes a few % of processing speed.  Any ideas to what is the problem?

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2004, 12:46:24 PM »
have you checked your mobo for any damage burn marks scorch marks.. does the ps2 ports work.normally the graphics card does the work...has your display altered maybe the firewire card has had it no your mobo...have you tried using the mouse/keyboard via another usb port
« Last Edit: October 10, 2004, 12:47:33 PM by merlin_2 »

pkdawg

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2004, 03:17:42 PM »
The mouse and keyboard both work on another computer.  I used the borrowed USB key and mouse and reinstalled the drivers, but did not that didn't fix the problem.  There are no burn marks anywhere.  I wish there was so I would at least know the answer.  The FW and USB ports are all onboard along with PS2 port, except that the PS2 doesn't work.  The MB is under warranty, but it's hard to tell if that is the problem.  I'd much rather keep trying other solutions before I call Intel.  Any ideas?

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2004, 03:26:24 PM »
when you boot to windows xp...does the num lock light stay on?is there another port you can place the firewire card?or try  a normal ps2 mouse/keyboard and see if the events log admin tools reports anything...or download aida32 or belac or sisoft it may give you more on the state of things

pkdawg

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2004, 05:17:30 PM »
No the numlock or anything else for that matter ever blink when I boot up.  Does that mean the PS2 port is probably dead?

merlin_2

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2004, 05:28:45 PM »
ok lets start from scratch....remove..all hardware..firewire etc...back to basics.. one ps2/keyboard mouse plugged in...go in to the bios <del key.> setup defaults...if your ps2 keyboard/ mouse does not work..it may indicate graphics card fault...and not mobo..are you getting any post beeps..or any stop error messages..irq etc.. and to add to this firewire is not really successful <imho>a powered usb hub is the way to go..

pkdawg

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2004, 09:27:10 PM »
I went back to basics and plugged in the mouse and keyboard via ps2 and no light flashes at all show on the keyboard.  I can't get to the bios since I can't hit F2 when it's booting.  The only way for me to get there is to plug in the USB mouse and keyboard.  I did that and everything looked fine.

BTW...I use the firewire port mainly for my soundcard that has 8 mic preamps for recording music.  There isn't a USB 2 version of this kind of soundcard yet.  Soon though.  I also use the firewire for my sony camcorder.    

mdestefano

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 11:42:54 PM »
    Merlin, If you are out there, please help. 

My keyboard and my mouse are both not working.  Both are plugged in via ps2 and are recognized with lights and stuff.  I screwed with the registry and deleted some upfiling (?) files to try and fix my ipod.  Now nothing plugged in by usb or ps2 works.  It recognizes it when I plug it in, but does nothing. 

Help pleeeeeaaassse

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 02:25:55 AM »
    Welcome to ComputerHope.