Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: unknown F: USB Mass Storage Device  (Read 3124 times)

emptypockets62426

Topic Starter

Beginner
    unknown F: USB Mass Storage Device
    « on: September 29, 2008, 11:09:28 AM »
    This is going to be a long winded post, but I want to give as much info as I can with the problem I’m having.  I worked on my neighbor’s Dell Dimension 3100 desktop pc recently.

SYMPTOMS: 
      1.  VERY slow
      2.  Occasional BSOD = Beginning Physical Memory Dump
                   Physical Memory Dump Complete

REMEDIES TAKEN:
      1.  Ran Trendmicro Housecall.  Minor threats found and removed, but wouldn’t fix a
           macro vulnerability in MS Word 2000.
      2.  Ran Adaware 2008 Free, Spybot S&D, A Squared Free, Hijack This, CCleaner. 
           Removed all threats, etc. successfully.
      3.  Upon numerous reboots the BSOD with the same message indicated above
           reappeared and the pc would freeze.           
      4.  Replaced a bad RAM stick with a known good one.
      5.  Formatted and reinstalled Win XP with the Dell provided disk and Dell provided
           drivers disk.  All went well with no more BSODs.
      6.  Reinstalled all the latest versions of Adaware Free, Spybot S&D, A Squared Free,
           Hijack This, CCleaner along with the latest definitions where applicable.  Deep
           scanned with all in Safe Mode just to be sure.  Obviously, no threats found.
      7.  Reinstalled all her personal software and All Windows updates including SP3. 
           All worked flawlessly. 
      8.  Connected to the Internet--no problems there.  Man, I’m on a good roll now so I
           returned the pc to her so she could reinstall her printer since all seemed to be
           working OK.

Got a call from her last evening and she said she was having problems installing her
    printer so I led her thru the uninstall procedure via the HP disk uninstall option.  Rebooted the pc and tried to reinstall the printer again.  This time the “Found New Hardware Wizard” popped up.  We didn’t go any further with that and I had her end that task via Task Manager.  The printer installation completed successfully (according to what it said), but didn’t put an HP printer program group into the All Programs list.  The printer will print and copy a document, but will not scan.  This, I suspect is because the printer did NOT install completely after all.

I then had her reboot and the “Found New Hardware Wizard” reared its ugly head again, so I asked her to check the “Safely Remove Hardware” icon in the System Tray.  It showed an F:  USB Mass Storage Device along with her printer as well.  The F:  USB
    Mass Storage Device also shows up in Windows Explorer as a DISK drive if she told me correctly.

Now, to finally get to the point of this post--there is NO USB Mass Storage Device connected to the pc (external HD, flash drive, etc.).  What is this device and is the “New Hardware Wizard” looking for this F: device?  I was wondering if anyone can give me some ideas as to what this “phantom” device is and how to find out what “New Hardware Wizard” is wanting to install?  I plan to go over in a couple of days and am trying to pick your brains for a solution(s).

The only devices connected via USB are the Dell keyboard, Dell mouse, and her HP 7100 printer, scanner, copier with fax--all connected to the rear panel USB ports.  There is nothing connected to the 2 front panel ports.

I’m not so concerned with the printer problem as I believe I can fix that once I lay my own beady little eyes on the situation myself.  (Kinda hard to fix ’em over the phone).

Thanks in advance for any and all ideas that I can try when I get my hands on that machine from *censored*.

Dell Dimension 3100
    Windows XP Home Edition SP3
    HP 7100 printer, scanner, copier with fax
    Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz
    Intel 915GV chipset
    512MB DDR2 SDRAM
    USB 2.0 X 6 ports (2 front, 4 rear)
    PCI X 1, PCI Express X1 X1 expansion slots
    ACPI/APM power configuration
    Hyper Thread Technology Ready
    80GB EIDE HD
    DVD +/-RW (D:, E)
    Integrated 10/100 network card, Ethernet + Fast Ethernet

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
      • Obituary
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: unknown F: USB Mass Storage Device
    « Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 05:17:37 PM »
    What hardware shows up in device manager that is not installed on the computer?
    Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: unknown F: USB Mass Storage Device
    « Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 05:24:36 PM »
    A 4 way printer will as a matter of fact will show up as a mass storage device under certain conditions...or if it has a built in card reader.
    Have her try this:
    Unplug the printer.
    Go to Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager...find the printer and select Remove...she may get a warning...ignore it.
    Then go to Add/Remove Programs and remove any HP applications.
    Re-boot and check for any remnants in the above mentioned places.
    Re-boot and double check.

When all is good have her install the printer software...tell her to NOT hook up the printer until prompted to do so.
    After the printer is successfully installed and a test page is printed power down.
    Re-boot and all should be well

P.S. Your suspicions are dead on...the printer software didn't finish installing the first time completely and was interrupted by the wonderful Found New Hardware thingy....(i refuse to call it a w___ard)
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "