Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Reformatted HD now speakers not working  (Read 6711 times)

meggyb

Reformatted HD now speakers not working
« on: March 02, 2005, 03:05:51 AM »
Hello,
I'm having a real pain of a time with my speakers. They are Compro ACS100. I recently reformatted my HD before which, they worked perfectly. Now, nothing. I've checked all the settings, and I can't find out what has changed. I also can't locate a driver online for these speakers but, I'm not even certain they had one to begin with.
Upon trying to play a CD on Windows Media Player this error message came up:

There is no sound card
Error ID = 0x80040256, Remedy ID = 0x00000000
This error indicates that you either do not have a sound card or it is functioning incorrectly. If you do not have a sound card, you must install one to play this file. If you do have a sound card, refer to its documentation to troubleshoot the problem.

The speakers are recieving power and I DO have a soundcard. I couldn't find any distinguishing features on the soundcard so I am not sure what brand it is.

If anyone can help me with this I would be most grateful, it's driving me insane lol.

Thanks, Meg Baker

NaturalBornCamper

Re: Reformatted HD now speakers not working
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2005, 11:59:10 AM »
What can you see in the device manager under multimedia device?
Do you see your sound card with a question mark?
Or do you absolutely can't see your sound card anywhere in the device manager?

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2005, 12:45:00 PM »
You need to go to the "Compro" website, and find drivers from them, OR you can contact your computer manufacturer to get the drivers from them...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

meggyb

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2005, 02:16:22 PM »
Thanks for your help.
Under Device Manager I cannot find any sound card at all. I can however see under 'Other devices' it says PCI Multimedia Audio Device which is question marked and yellow exclamation marked. Is this perhaps the mysterious missing sound card?
I tried going to compro and finding the drivers, also doing many searches online, but there doesn't seem to be any available.  ???

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2005, 02:23:19 PM »
type dxdiag in the run box for more and tst for sound...check its not muted?/also this program will display your sound card  make...for drivers ...driversall.com..ok what system have you got ...you may have the drivers on a separate disk..?

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2005, 02:33:50 PM »
Have you tried the sound card manufacturer's website? (I thought that Compro made the speakers...) The question is... Does Compro make your speakers, or sound card... You need to look at the sound card manufacturer's website...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

NaturalBornCamper

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2005, 03:09:09 PM »
Yep, thats the one, with the question mark (PCI Multimedia Audio Device)

so your system knows it there, so as the other are saying, all you need is the driver, and taht can be quite difficult, so you can install Everest, a freeware that will give you ALL the information about your computer:
http://www.lavalys.hu/downloads/everesthome151.exe

then, install it and run it. In the report that will appear, try looking in:

1-"Multimedia"->"PCI/PNP Audio" and see if there is something there, a company, a serial number, anything, and post it here.

2-"Devices"->"PCI Devices" and you will see a list of hardware that your computer has. Try looking at each individually and you will see information in the bottom of the screen, with the company, the serail number, etc.

If that's too complicated, you can go in the "report" menu and run the report wizard and select the categories I told you and post it here so we can have a look. But don't post ALL the information! It will be much too large and we will have all your serial numbers

Good luck

meggyb

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2005, 11:08:15 PM »
Merlin_2 I tried your advice and it came up with this:

No problems found.
DirectSound test results: Failure at step 3 (DirectSoundCreate): HRESULT = 0x8878000a (The request failed because DirectSound resources, such as the priority level, were already in use by another caller.)

No sound came out. ?? Not sure what this means!
Also this information was under 'sound', device:

Name: Game Compatible Device (emulated)
Device ID: MODEMWAVE\HALFDUPLEX\SERENUM
Manufacturer ID: 1
Product ID: 89
Type: Emulated

Flame: I am not sure who has made the sound card, it seems to be part of the whole back of my computer, and I can't find any ID on it at all nor on my computer. [it's a 2nd hand computer with I think a new motherboard so I have no idea sorry]

NaturalBornCamper:

Thanks, I d/l the Everest program and here is what showed up:

1-"Multimedia"->"PCI/PNP Audio" = SiS 7012 Audio Device

2-"Devices"->"PCI Devices" = Device Description
nVIDIA RIVA TNT2 M64 Video Adapter
Device Description
SiS 7001 PCI-USB Open Host Controller
Device Description
SiS 7001 PCI-USB Open Host Controller
Device Description
SiS 7012 Audio Device
Device Description
SiS 735 Chipset - Host-PCI Bridge [A-1]
Device Description
SiS 85C503/5513/5595/961/962/963 PCI-ISA Bridge
Device Description
SiS 86C201 AGP Controller
Device Description
SiS 961 MuTIOL - IDE Controller
Device Description
SiS SMBus Controller

As you said there was a lot of info! So I just listed the names that came up. I hope this helps a bit?
Thankyou all so much, I really, really appreciate this!!! -Meg

NaturalBornCamper

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2005, 11:12:53 PM »
Hehe, got it, thats the one, SiS 7012 Audio Device, stupid SiS, always complicated. Sorry, I just had a lot of problems with SiS before :)

So here's the driver:
http://driver.sis.com/audio/7012/a12112b.zip
extract and execute "setup.exe"

P.S. Sorry, it took a lot of time to answer but I had a lot of work ;)

meggyb

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2005, 09:27:14 PM »
That's okay I really, REALLY appreciate your help! My computer is on a campaign to destroy my will, I swear. *sigh*  ;)

I did what you suggested with the SiS file but something seems to be wrong... after half installing a message comes up [the usual "Windows has found a new device and is locating the hardware for it" thing], and won't recognise the extraced files when I 'manually search for a better driver', and it won't find them itself.
It then finishes installing and restarts my computer but nothing appears to be any different.

Is there anything else I should do, or just buy a CD player? lol. Thankyou again!!!!

NaturalBornCamper

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2005, 10:26:12 PM »
Hehe, I agree, your computer hates you.

That's kinda strange, maybe your sound card is dead but I doubt it.

Did you canceled the installation when Windows found a new driver? Because you should totally ignore this and finish the installation and reboot your computer without choosing a driver or following Microsoft's instructions.

If that's what you did, you can, as you said, install the driver yourself, by right-clicking on "PCI Multimedia Audio Device" in the device manager and select "properties", then "driver" then "update driver". You can then "locate the driver yourself" and select the file "SIS70120.INF" located in one of the folders of the zipped file. The folder must be your OS (you must have Windows XP right?) so it would be: "a12112b\WinXP\SIS70120.INF", maybe it will ask you for the .cat and the .sys also. But maybe you already did that when you said " I 'manually search for a better driver', and it won't find them itself. " is that so?

By the way, is your sound card built-in (directly on the mainboard, as SiS calls it, instead of a motherboard hehe)
or is it a PCI card? because sometimes, you need to anable the sound driver in the BIOS when it's built-in.

If the problem still persists, I would gladly give you a SoundBlaster Live card that I don't use, but I live in Montreal  ;D

meggyb

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2005, 11:40:02 PM »
Hahah yeh my computer basically hates me !!! I had a go at everything you've listed, and still nothing! I even borrowed a driver CD off a friend for Soundblaster in some vague hopes but alas, nothing >_<

It is actually part of the mainboard, so should I be enabling the thing in the BIOS? [and how the heck do I do that? lol]
Thanks again! I think if that doesn't work I'll well and truly give up and buy a new soundcard. I sure appreciate your offer hehe, pity that Montreal isn't closer eh??
Regards,
Meg

NaturalBornCamper

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2005, 06:01:25 PM »
Alright, when tou boot your computer, it says: "Press Del for setup" or "press F1 for setup" or something like that. That's the BIOS. In there, you can change various settings. If you still have your motherboard manual, you can look into it or you can search fo settings, in-board, advanced configuration, etc. and there has to be a "nuilt-in sound device" or something like that, and it must be disabled, so you just have to enable it

meggyb

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2005, 05:19:58 PM »
Thanks so much for all your help. I ended up just getting a new soundcard and after about 10 minutes of mucking around, it worked perfectly!

Once again thanks so much, people like me really need people like you to stop us from maiming our computers *grin*
« Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 07:02:18 PM by meggyb »