Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: internet sharing  (Read 4067 times)

sureshkumar

Topic Starter

Rookie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    internet sharing
    « on: June 25, 2004, 07:08:53 PM »
    How to Connecting 2 home computers to share a single internet connection

Raptor

Re: internet sharing
    « Reply #1 on: June 26, 2004, 06:52:34 AM »
    That depends.

You can use a router and both have indepent Internet connections and yet still make use of only one line.

Or you can use a Hub and make one of your computers the host and connect the client to the host.

What are you using?

chade

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2004, 09:49:49 AM »
    The router option is best as it's much less trouble to set up and maintain.  Decent hardware routers aren't that expensive any more - Netgear for example have an excellent range (but so do lots of other manufacturers).

It's also possible to share an internet connection through Windows ICS (internet connection sharing) without the use of router or hub - but then the host computer must be on for the second computer to use it, and it can be a major pain to set up, and maintain if something goes wrong.  If you can afford the expense, a hardware router is the way to go.

indicom

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 05:13:19 AM »
    Im using xp and ICS via network cable to my other laptop. But sometimes i cant connect IE6 from the host even when i can connect Messenger. I think it is a problem or setting with IE. Any thoughts.

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2004, 01:41:53 PM »
    check your firewall  also there is this>http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/dccmain.htm

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2004, 04:04:01 PM »
    Im using xp and ICS via network cable to my other laptop. But sometimes i cant connect IE6 from the host even when i can connect Messenger. I think it is a problem or setting with IE. Any thoughts.

Reinstall Internet Explorer or use a browser such as Mozilla Firefox

reet

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2005, 04:18:07 PM »
    hey,

how to use internet connection sharing? i want to connect my two laptops to internet through one line.
    my OS in XP and i have IE installed on both of them.

thanx