Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem using different monitors  (Read 2344 times)

TC

Problem using different monitors
« on: September 25, 2008, 11:27:03 AM »
 Hi   I'm having trouble changing from one monitor to another. I have a HP533w running Xp and I've been using hp70 series monitor, but when I try using any other monitor the picture shows multiple times and is unusable. I have a laptop w/ XP and I can use all my monitors w/ no problem. I compared the Device mgr list and found a "General monitor" listing on the laptop,  but only the "hp70" on the hp533w list.  Can anyone help me. Thanks!

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Problem using different monitors
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 03:13:36 AM »
Hmmm....Where'd he go?

Butterfly

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 11:21:43 AM »
    Yes the "GENERAL"  has been found to have never existed.  The missing is "Generic TV"

Butterfly

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 05:41:50 PM »
      Problem solved ;D ;D

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 07:16:03 PM »
      Uhhh....All right. What did you do?

Butterfly

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 01:55:51 PM »
        I continued to search for help in CH's HELP page and followed the screens for troubleshoot until I got to Hardware troubleshoot page.  I then scrolled down to  select off the list "monitor troubleshooting."  Then had to choose the problem and chose "distorted view."  Then I chose "windows issue" and chose document CH000121.  I then followed the directions.  BUT this didn't solve my problem. 

The next day ,  I went into safe mode again, and then to control panel to appearance to display then clicked Troubleshoot.  Then chose "problem multiple monitor" then next choice was "yes" then the next choice was "Yes."  The next  screen led me back to the original directions listed above except the addition of selecting "Advanced."  What I remember here is clicking an arrow list that gave me the choices of the lowest to highest settings and I found the setting that was given me in CH000121 document, which is 800 x 200 with 256 colors.  I chose that one and applied it.  I then restarted the computer and problem solved, plus I can still use the hp monitor as well. 

I hope this helps someone out there.  Basically Windows XP had the answer in HELP and CH helped me get there.  ;)

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 09:44:05 PM »
        So it appears changing the screen resolution fixed the problem.

Good Work. :)