Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New printer makes other usb ports malfunction  (Read 3362 times)

jshebop

New printer makes other usb ports malfunction
« on: March 15, 2005, 09:57:55 PM »
I bought a new dell A946 printer.  When it is hooked up to my computer, none of my other devices attached with USB work.  They all become unknown and malfunction including my wireless internet connection.  When the printer is not hooked up they work but they have to be reinstalled as if they are new devices.  I spent my entire weekend on the phone with dell doing various things but nothing works.  I did a system restore back to the day before I hooked up the printer and started over and the same thing happened.  I am so frustrated.  Please help  :-[

phlatop

Re: New printer makes other usb ports malfunction
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 07:21:21 AM »
How do you connect these USB devices to the computer?
Through a hub? Is it a powered hub or a passive hub?
How is the hub connected to the computer, via a =built-in= port or on a PCI card?
Maybe you are connecting the usb devices in a =daisy chain=?
If the printer is connected directly to the  computer and the other devices are connected to the hub, does the situation change - impove or get worse or stay the same?

I think there is a limit to the number of devices that can be connected directly to the computer, using a built in port; but using a powered hub the total number is 128.

Have you searched on Google for the topic of USB? That's a good place to at at least find out what USB is supposed to do. In my configuration for example, when the printer is connected to the system a shutdown command is treated like a restart command. Remove the printer and the computer will shut down.

If all else fails, you might want to add a USB PCI card to your computer.