Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: hard drive size  (Read 3352 times)

Passnthru

hard drive size
« on: March 16, 2005, 05:12:52 PM »
I have a compaq presario 1200xl310 laptop that came with a 6 gig hard drive and it crashed on me.  
I would like to know if anyone knows if i can install a 40gig in this thing and have it run properly...   i dont know for sure but i dont see why not.  

It has a 600mhz celeron in it also.

if you could help that would be great!!!!

Thanks,
Greg

pcdoc4christ

Re: hard drive size
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 09:43:04 AM »
Pass-n:

Try visiting the HP.com Web site (they purchased Compaq not to long ago, but still provide support):

http://search.hp.com/query.html?hpvc=US+-+English&lang=en&submit.x=4&submit.y=10&qt=presario+1200xl310+&la=en&cc=us

Some of the support services at the site include FAQs, downloadable manuals in PDF format, & e-mail or online chat support.

Regards,
Doc

Regards,
Doc
« Last Edit: March 17, 2005, 09:48:24 AM by pcdoc4christ »

Dr Wahab

Intermediate
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    « Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 01:20:31 PM »
    Friend installing the hard drive in Laptop is little bit complex than PC. So try to ask some qualified person to change your hard drive. Secondly, I dont think that your Laptop support such amount of disk size i-e 40 GB.
    Dr Wahab
    do take care of you and others

neo_wraith

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 01:18:03 PM »
    Just like Sony, HP requires you buy any hardware upgrades from them, unless you know how to hack it.  Otherwise stay with thier products.  And if you tamper with the system with any add on cards, or new hard drives they dont support, guess what..they wont support it at all...your warrenty is useless after this point.  HP and Sony LT are terrible for this reason..You can only make their stuff work, any other does not.  It sucks I know, but you may want to contact HP and ask them for hard drive specs for that particular system and tell them you need a new hard drive...I can not stress this enough...Do Not...I REPEAT DO NOT tell them you put in a hard drive that wasnt theirs.  They will not help you at that point.

johnwill

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 06:49:01 PM »
    It's really not all that difficult to install a hard disk in 99% of the laptops around, I've installed them in a number of Compaq laptops.  Most Compaq laptops have a little hard disk holder with one or two screws that will release the hard disk.  You attach the new hard disk and stick it back into the machine.

The capacity issue will be the key.  The drive overlay software downloadable from most hard disk manufacturer's websites wil get around that, but I'd try to install without it first.