Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Preventing remote drive access and the difference between Local and Removabe drv  (Read 3360 times)

Sn3akyP3t3

Topic Starter

Beginner

I work in the IT department so knowing things such as this and having first hand experience is mighty helpful, but some things just cannot be analyzed by behavior alone.  If there is one thing that I'm disgusted with its Microsoft's website and MSDN to find answers like this or at least clues.  I turn to the community for answers and appreciate the feedback.

My question is this:
    What is the difference between removable drive and a local disk in regards to remote accessibility?

I tested remote drive access between two computers one running XP and the other Win7 64 bit.  The test was done against an encrypted TrueCrypt volume mounted to drive K.  For the first test I mounted the drive to both computers as a local disk.  I was able to access the drive from one machine to the other by using this in the run command: "\\ip.of.win.pc\k$"  However, after mounting the drive as a removable drive on both machines I was no longer able to remote access the drive letter specified as before.

I realize this is only one way that remote disk access can be achieved, but I was curious if this is in all cases.

Sn3akyP3t3

Topic Starter

Beginner

I've tooled with this for awhile but couldn't find any documented differences between the two that would identify the behaviour encountered or a solution to achieve the desired security.  Any information on this matter would be appreciated.

Sn3akyP3t3

Topic Starter

Beginner

I uncovered some information regarding muliti-user environments http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=volume-mounted-as-removable-medium and also some information regarding administrative shares  https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Administrative_share , but I haven't been able to determine if remote access of a mounted volume is not possible or secure if mounted as removable media.

Again, if there are experts out there in this field or have experience please direct me to the answer if known.