Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: excel logic question, too complicated???  (Read 2429 times)

mvollmers

Topic Starter

Rookie

excel logic question, too complicated???
    « on: October 05, 2008, 08:00:33 PM »
    Hi, all.  I'm not real robust on complicated excel logic, and so I'm not sure if I can do what I want or not.  here's the scoop.  Excel 07, windows XP Pro machine.  I'm making my own budget sheet, and I have a table setup with date, cost, & category.  I have a list defined with all these categories, and then I sweep the table and sum the ones for my totals.  for example.  home category consists of two items, so the total is
    =SUM(SUMIF(E:E,"home Improvement",D:D),SUMIF(E:E,"Furnature",D:D))
    some categories have one item, some have more.

Now, I am trying to break this down by weekly spending, so I tried to filter by date first.
    =IF(DAY(A:A)<=7,SUMIF(E:E,"Salary",D:D),0)
    this just returns the entire month's salary and puts it in the week column that I am in.  What I am looking for is to have my total columns off to the side, and I want it to first filter by day and then sum.  I tried
    =SUMIF(IF(DAY(A:A)<=7,(E:E,"Salary",D:D),0))
    trying to drive the if to push the sum, but it doesn't like it.  I can think it out with code, but I always have a hard time translating that to excel formulas.  It would go like:
    For (all items in stack)
    If Day <= 7 and Category = Salary
      wk1total = wk1total + salary
    If (Day > 7 and Day <= 14) and Category = Salary
      wk2total = wk2total + salary
    etc

Suggestions?  Thanks!