Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Area of Adventure release [local] [beta]  (Read 28603 times)

gamerx365

Adviser
  • Radda Radda!
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Area of Adventure release [local] [beta]
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2008, 03:01:01 PM »
of course its not batch. but its still rad. lol. its kind of cheating if its not batch though. everyone knows games in C is easier. maybe. i dont know. lol.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2008, 03:40:20 PM »
Everyone knows games in C is easier. maybe. i dont know. lol.

that's funny...

http://www.davidlclark.com/sopwith/sopwithsource.zip

just try to understand almost ANYTHING that is going on in any of those .C files...

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

gamerx365

Adviser
  • Radda Radda!
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2008, 03:51:49 PM »
okay. i'll admit it has hard commands, but once you learn it, its got to be better than typing a 500kb batch file.

devcom

Apprentice

« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2008, 02:33:06 PM »
    thats old C, C++ is better, and i think that all C's suck becouse you can do same in batch faster and easier (except math)
    Download: Choice.exe

gamerx365

Adviser
    • Radda Radda!
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #49 on: November 25, 2008, 02:51:26 PM »
    lol. if you want math done then write the math program in C and have it export to batch i guess. i dont know anything about C or whatever. I just know batch and some Basic.

What are the programs that stores use, it looks like batch but they have like selections and stuff. what are they written in?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #50 on: November 25, 2008, 02:55:41 PM »
    ... easier ... yes, faster to write, yes. -run faster? not my a long shot!

And you surely cannot do the same thing either- care to rewrite sopwith in batch? Not possible. You cannot change the video mode using batch, and even if you could, there is no way to address individual pixels, at least- not without an external program. Take a guess what that would be written with...  8)

And how many GUIs do you see written in batch? Calls to API functions? neither are facilitated by default, excepting of course external programs, once again- written in what language?

And your comparison splits generations of Batch. that C code was written in 1982. DOS didn't even have the @ prefix to make commands invisible yet, and was actually quite primitive. Running batch code on an 8Mhz processor isn't exactly fast- there was even enough time to read a directory listing as it scrolled by...

batch programs in those days were just that- a group of commands strung together, which used external programs to work towards a common goal, much as each of those individual programs consisted of statements which worked towards a common goal.

Additionally, C++ didn't even exist, and in fact no Object oriented languages were in common usage... their performance was simply too low.

for small programs, batch is easy to maintain and quick to write, and with todays processors, the time used to interpret the commands is virtually Nil. Additionally, with the new extensions to the batch language in NT, a lot more is possible.

But you won't see any software companies writing  commercial applications in batch. Perhaps in-house  for record-keeping or... well, batch operations.

okay. i'll admit it has hard commands, but once you learn it, its got to be better than typing a 500kb batch file.

hate to call you out on this, (and I did this for a while too, trying to learn QBASIC...) but only batch (well, and REXX) programs have "commands". almost every single other programming language calls it's program lines "statements"- each one is split up into expressions, which may comprise function calls, arithmetic operators, unary operators, and ternary operators.

lol

sorry about that. known to ramble...

lol. if you want math done then write the math program in C and have it export to batch i guess. i dont know anything about C or whatever. I just know batch and some Basic.

What are the programs that stores use, it looks like batch but they have like selections and stuff. what are they written in?

You mean Point Of sale(POS) tills and registers? well- some grocery stores still use DOS-based POS programs. No... not in batch. C,C++, and any number of other languages. using batch for such a thing would be impossible- unless each terminal was running XP and thus had all the extended commands, such as set with switches and string manip, but if a Point-of Sale terminal was running XP, they would use a XP-native program, likely also written in C/C++ (although a surprisingly large number are actually written in Access BASIC or VBA with Access, since POS operations lend themselves to a database.).

devcom

Apprentice

« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2008, 03:00:04 PM »
      yea good summary  ;D
      i was learning C++ and at first "lessons" its pointless for me, thats why i started Just Basic, VB 08 and Delphi
      Download: Choice.exe

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #52 on: November 25, 2008, 03:08:11 PM »
      VB6 for me ALL the way... even though I have visual Studio 2008. Can't stand what they've done to Visual Basic, it's just not the same anymore. the framework is all well and good, but half of what MS added via the framework I've already made myself. BCFile, BASeParser,BCSettings, and various other libraries and controls I've written over the years.

But I know what you mean- it's annoying to relearn the same basic stuff, like printing to the screen, in another language. This is my main barrier to using C++. I'll think of a good simple project, and then I'll end up bumping against C++'s inability to be even semi-competent with String Manipulation, which I've mastered, mostly via writing my expression Parser three times over... The whole idea of simply null terminating strings seems somewhat error-prone... I think I get my fill of that via the Windows API functions though.

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2008, 04:07:28 PM »
        im with BC, anything in the BASIC area is my game.
        the only C i program is NQC(for Lego Mindstorms, see it here)

Now if you want speed, you probably would program in native code(like ASM or even more extreme: Machine Code)
        If you dont know DOS, you dont know Windows...

Thats why Bill Gates created the Windows NT Family.

gamerx365

Adviser
        • Radda Radda!
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #54 on: December 07, 2008, 04:58:52 PM »
        I want a lego mindstorms set kinda. they look pretty sweet.

I see people using easy C or something at robot competitions. seems like something that would be kind of common.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        « Reply #55 on: December 07, 2008, 05:07:35 PM »
        im with BC, anything in the BASIC area is my game.
        the only C i program is NQC(for Lego Mindstorms, see it here)

Now if you want speed, you probably would program in native code(like ASM or even more extreme: Machine Code)

ASM is machine code; Each assembly instruction is one machine code instruction. You could do it in machine code in a hex editor, but it won't go faster then ASM.

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2008, 12:22:45 PM »
          when i meant Machine code i ment 100101111001110, etc. but i never knew that thanks BC.

and gamer, you should get Lego Mindstorms. i have the older set(RCX) but the newer set(NXT) is better in some ways(Bluetooth cababilty, WAV file playback, and showing Pictures on the Screen), the RCX is still fun. As a tip, you should get NQC it runs faster than the GUI IDE thats included with the Lego Mindstorms sets. NQC has many tools with it(MIDI converter for example can convert MIDI files to NQC files to play on the RCX and NXT) I managed to get my RCX to play the Mario Theme(lol)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #57 on: December 08, 2008, 01:16:24 PM »
          when i meant Machine code i ment 100101111001110, etc. but i never knew that thanks BC.

well yeah- but you cannot actually write 1's and 0's- that would be a string, of course.

You would end up needing to use Hexadecimal to create the appropriate instructions; each ASM instruction corresponds to at most 4 bytes of hexadecimal.

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2008, 04:04:52 PM »
            oh, well......Things i learned today:
            • Machine Code is ASM
            • ASM is as hard as H**l
            • and i'm not gonna try it....   ;)

Thanks for the info BC

gamerx365

Adviser
            • Radda Radda!
              • Yes
              • Yes
            « Reply #59 on: December 09, 2008, 04:15:39 PM »
            I want mindstorms lol. I dont have money right now. I want to buy a computer anyway. I kinda want to get a VEX kit because im on the robotics team and they have VEX competitions at the FIRST competitions. lol. I probably won't get a VEX but I want to get mindstorms someday lol.