Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Compaq Help!  (Read 3285 times)

chadh_pike

Compaq Help!
« on: March 17, 2005, 10:52:02 PM »
I have a Compaq Presario that's about 3 or 4 years old.  One night it got unplugged while running and shut down.  It now won't turn on at all, but when it's plugged in, the power source still makes a light buzzing noise, but no lightls will come on or anything.  I heard from someone that this is a safety thing and you need to hold in the power button for a certain increment of time to restart the tower.  Is this true?  Or is there something else that I need to do? I'm a poor college kid and want to avoid spending alot of money to fix it.  Could someone please help me out?
Thanks so much!!!

Computer_Commando

Re: Compaq Help!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 09:21:28 AM »
...you need to hold in the power button for a certain increment of time to restart the tower.  Is this true?  ...

Try it and let us know.

chadh_pike

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2005, 02:08:53 PM »
I was told this info by a coworker who's friend had a similar problem.  He called Compaq's 800 help center, and they told him to hold the power button for a certain amount of time and release the button.  I tried this in 5 second increments up to about 2 minutes and nothing worked.  So, my computer still sits until I figure out how to fix it.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2005, 04:08:30 PM »
One of my computers is a Compaq Presario about the same age as yours (Model 5006US).  The functioning of the power button is programmable, but that's not the problem with yours.  You may have to perform a "hard BIOS reset".  There's a jumper inside to do this.

Go here:  http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html
enter your model number and search for help.