Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer turns off without warning  (Read 2449 times)

Thegoodlol

Topic Starter

Computer turns off without warning
    « on: October 08, 2008, 11:52:06 AM »
    Hello.
    I have a problem with my computer.
    I work a lot with Sony vegas studio, Windows movie maker and some other designing software, but when i try to change my document from .MSWMM Miscrosoft windows movie maker type, to .AVI, make it a movie, my computer turns off when it is saving as .avi format, when it is rendering. Do you know what can cause this?
    This also happened to me when I was downloading stuff or had two applications running at the same time. I suspect it's hardware related.
    Thanks, I seek forward for your answer!

P.S : I'm pretty sure it's not a virus because I used an anti-virus, formated c: , re-installed windows, and it still happens. This problem is new because I have my computer for about 2/3+ (?) years and this never happened before.

Microsoft windows XP home edition SP 2,

INTEL R

Pentium 4 (R) D CPU 3.00GHz
    1GB RAM

« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 12:02:13 PM by Thegoodlol »

TheShadow

Hopeful

• Retiree in Florida
      • Yes
      • The Doctor
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Computer turns off without warning
    « Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 01:54:11 PM »
    The answers are as many and varied as there are people on this forum.

If the computer is really that old, then it's probably time for a good tear-down and cleaning.  Make sure your CPU heatsink and fan are clean.  Same with the RAM.
    If it's dirty, it can overheat or short out from the dirt that the CPU fan blasts against it.

I'd also be making sure there are NO extraneous programs running in the background.

Then your PSU (power supply unit) may be getting old and weak, and under heavy load, failing.  You could watch your voltages, 5v and 12v with a digital volt meter while the computer is running and see if the critical voltages are sagging under load.

All these things are easy to do on a computer repair bench, but may be harder to do in a home or office.

I tear down my own PC at least once a year and give it a thorough cleaning.

Good Luck to you.

The Shadow  8)

Experience is truly the best teacher.
    Backup! Backup! Backup!  Ghost Rocks!

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 01:55:32 PM »
    Download, and install SpeedFan: http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
    Post your computer temperatures:

killerb255

Adviser
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 03:37:54 PM »
      Microsoft windows XP home edition SP 2,

INTEL R

Pentium 4 (R) D CPU 3.00GHz
      1GB RAM

Now THAT is either a Pentium 4 Prescott, Presler, or Cedar Mill--those things get hot no matter what you do to them (especially Prescotts)...

My suggestion, if you don't want to upgrade your PC altogether, is to purchase an aftermarket cooling fan that can handle the Prescott's high temps...
      Quote from: talontromper
      Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.