Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: MS Outlook - "Personal Folders" was not closed properly  (Read 5473 times)

TryingToUnderstand

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    MS Outlook - "Personal Folders" was not closed properly
    « on: October 06, 2008, 07:42:44 PM »
    I have Dell -- XP -- 300 GB hard disk with 150 GB free. I had Office 2002 but was having so many problems with MS Outlook that I finally gave in and bought and installed Office 2007 this weekend.

One of the problems I had with Outlook 2002 was the error message '"Personal Folders" was not closed properly.' About 2 weeks after getting this message every time I entered Outlook 2002 it quit sending and receiving messages completely. So, I switched to Outlook Express.

I have a huge number of emails. I need them! Deleting them is not the answer. I found out that Office 2002 will only handle 1.6 GB of emails or 16,383 emails. I am close to that number.  Office 2007 can handle 20GB of emails. This is the main reason I went ahead and made the switch.

I installed Outlook 2007 this weekend. I still get this same message every time I enter Outlook.

So, my questions for this post:  What does this mean? What is causing it? Why would it be in both Office 2002 and Office 2007?   Will Office 2007 possibly just quit sending/receiving emails like Office 2002 did? What can I do?

I use PCcillin virus and firewall, and CCleaner.

Any help will be appreciated.

senthilvalli

Intermediate

Re: MS Outlook - "Personal Folders" was not closed properly
      « Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 04:47:30 AM »
      try to re-install ms office...

TryingToUnderstand

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
        Re: MS Outlook - "Personal Folders" was not closed properly
        « Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 09:22:09 AM »
        Thanks for the reply.
        I reinstalled Outlook 2002 a couple of time.Microsoft Tech Support wouldn't answer questions on 2002
        Finally bought MSOffice 2007. Still get the same message.
        I've spent 2 hours a day for the last 3 days with Microsoft Tech people. (Takes nerves of steel to do this!!)
        Still get the same message.
        Part of the problem is I have more messages and GB than Outlook can handle.
        2002 could evidently handle 1.6 GB. I had 1.4 GB.
        The ad I have on Outlook 2007 says it can handle 20 GB. That's why I bought it.
        Tech Support says that is not true. Each Folder in Outlook can only handle 1.3 GB.
        Their techs 'had control of my computer.' In their 'fixing it' they managed to duplicate and/or triplicate many (most) of my emails, and taking the pictures out of one set, and also duplicating the backups I had so I can't go back.

Bottom line is I now have about 8GB of messages because of the duplicates and triplicates and still, of course, get the same error message, and am in the process of going through and trying to determine which of the 30,000 emails is the duplicate without the picture, which will take endless hours.

This has also made my entire computer 'unstable' and I now can't access many of my Excel files and need to work in Safe Mode.

Can you see my teardrops?

At this point there is nothing I can do except delete, delete, delete (in small hunks or it crashes and freezes) and keep the delete file emptied.

OK - Thanks for listening! I don't really have any question until I get everything back to just having one set of my most meaningful emails, and then seeing if I get the same error message that I had in Outlook 2002.