Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: nothing I've tried will get my print spooler to start  (Read 10008 times)

Saviour

Re: nothing I've tried will get my print spooler to start
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2008, 06:19:26 AM »
Just for kicks and giggles...

1.  What Service Pack is installed on your machine?

2.  Have you visited Windows Update to download and install the latest "high-priority" updates for your operating system, as well as any hardware updates?

If worse comes to worse...which it looks like it already has, you may want to take a look at this:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00093471&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=306888&rule=12491&lang=en

nikis360

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2008, 11:47:02 AM »
    service pack 3. at windows update, I got:

The following updates were not installed:
    Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 2.0 (KB928365)

I'm working on the link now..... was that  a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel...

I'll post back with the results.

Thank You, Savior

Saviour

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2008, 11:54:54 AM »
    You're welcome...

BTW...don't forget the link I posted, either.

Please keep us posted...

nikis360

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2008, 12:56:13 PM »
      well, I followed the directions on the link and rebooted the system and the spooler still won't start. I mentioned in my first post that I was trying to print in paint shop pro. I was mistaken, I was actually trying to print from adobe photoshop cs3 when I noticed that the print option was grayed out....

Do you have any other suggetions...

Saviour

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2008, 02:41:09 PM »
      Is it the same for any program you try to print from?

Did you check Windows Update for drivers?

Saviour

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2008, 02:57:02 PM »
      I think you should go here:  http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html

I believe this could be malware related...

Only thought I have left, my friend.

nikis360

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2008, 03:11:16 PM »
        Yeah, I started out in the virus/malware forum and r'cvd alot of help, after that is when I eventually discovered that my spooler was not running.

Just found this,

We found a user that had a similar problem. We believe that an interrupted Adobe Patch might have caused the issue. It turned out that the spoolsv.exe file had been removed from the system32 directory. We copied it back from i386 and the service started backup without issue.

This sounds like it could be my problem. So I'll go into my i386 folder click on the spoolsv.exe file, and click copy. Then go to my c:\windows\system32 and paste the file there... then reboot.
        I'll keep you posted on what happens.

nikis360

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2008, 03:36:51 PM »
          Finally, finally, finally!!!

It worked, my spooler started!

the only thing is that the spoolsv.exe file that needed to be copied into the system32 folder was in c:\windows\sevicepackfiles\i386.

I hope this is a resolution for others who are having the same problem...

Saviour, thank you so much for all of your help, I love this place!

Just to share, I had been working with hp support in a live chat to resolve this issue being that they are the manufacturers of my computer, and from my experience with them they SUCK! I could not believe that they could not find a resolution. Everything they suggested failed, and then they would try to just get rid of me by referring me elsewhere just so they could refer me right back to hp. Yeah, it was ridiculous. I was very disappointed.

I hope this helps others...

sjohnson2

Rookie

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2008, 04:48:28 PM »
            although this is a bit off topic i was hoping to ask a printer question, and i didn't know where to post it.
            if this needs to be moved ... i understand ... i am a newbie.

anyhow i've put together a new yet slightly older computer. i'm running a pentium and all is well but my newer samsung printer won't work. all drivers seem to be installed fine. the computer shows that the printer is installed. checked printer with my laptop, no problem.
            i'm stuck.

if anyone has any suggestions out there, i'd appreciate it. cheers. sam ...   ???
             *Link Removed*

Saviour

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2008, 06:48:26 PM »
            nikis360...

You're welcome for the help...

However...it looks like you managed to fix this one on your own, my friend.  I'm certainly glad you have.

Should you have any other issues...we're always willing to help...so go tell your friends about Computer Hope...the more the merrier!:)

sjohnson2...

It's best if you start your own thread regarding your printer issue.

You may want to delete this post and start a new thread in this forum...instead of within this thread.

I'm sure someone will be along to help you.

All my best, guys...