Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: how to start making windows drivers?  (Read 7894 times)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: how to start making windows drivers?
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2008, 05:41:33 PM »
you need to burn the ISO file using a CD mastering program. I recommend IMGBurn- a google search should give you a download link for it.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

san_crazy

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2008, 10:09:10 PM »
    ok, I will try it. I had burned it using nero express though.

well, would you please give the the exact link of microsoft C/++ compiler? 
    I have searched it and got confused between few ones that which of them I should download?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #17 on: October 06, 2008, 11:59:05 PM »
    Just pick the one that will work with your computer. Myself, I prefer the compiler from Visual Studio 6.

Bear in mind it is a compiler, as opposed to an IDE- you'll need to edit your source with another editor, and then use the command line to compile.

san_crazy

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2008, 12:43:48 AM »
      ok, I gonna download that

by the way, I have been working with compilers and editors(not with visual C/C++ though) far a little long time and hence familiar with these.

please dont be tired out of me as I keep asking you again and again.
      well, after downloading this compiler where I should start from?

please let me know about some important sites of hardware manufacturers and driver makers.

thanks in advance

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #19 on: October 07, 2008, 12:48:06 AM »
      You'll have to try Epson, HP, and Lexmark for printers; Nvidia and Radeon / ATI for video; and Creative Labs for sound.  I'm pretty sure all the manufacturers have forums.  How much the developers interact, I don't know.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

san_crazy

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2008, 12:55:00 AM »
        what will the most simple hardware device that I should make the driver for and its manufacturer?

keyboard?...mouse?....USB ports?,....HDD?......RAM.......?  or any thing else?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        « Reply #21 on: October 07, 2008, 12:56:57 AM »
        after downloading the compiler- I really don't know- I've never written drivers myself- all I know about them is information I read in my MSDN library collection. You might need to refer to the Device Driver Kit documentation- it might not get you started, but it will give you valuable information.

most simple- couldn't say, really.

It's possible to make a device driver that emulates a device- once you research the Driver Kit documentation and learn about the whole framework MS has setup- it might make more sense.

san_crazy

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2008, 01:10:32 AM »
          oh...there is whole package of visual studio which pobably is not what I want, it is too long to download and moreover, I dont need the whole
          I just want compiler.   I not sure though I am saying rite here.

would you mind to give the exact link for compiler only?

ALAN_BR

Hopeful

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2008, 04:38:19 AM »
            Hi

I worked with DOS before there was Windows, and saw some stupid mistakes in "tutorials" upon the writing of drivers.

I think Windows has probably made things worse and there are more pitfalls now.

I STRONGLY recommend that you do NOT choose the simplest hardware device.
            Instead choose a device that is not essential, and preferably has the least interactions with the rest of Windows.
            A keyboard is essential and should not be experimented with, unless you have an alternative way of booting into BIOS.
            If you are not using serial ports, perhaps you could create a driver to use a serial port, e.g. reading a file from disc, and sending the data via your driver to an old fashioned printer.

I am only suggesting possibilities to consider, and warning you need to take care you do not irretrievably damage Windows.
            There are people with more experience that may give much better guidance.

I respect your ambitions, and wish you well.

Regards
            Alan

san_crazy

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2008, 05:13:39 AM »

I STRONGLY recommend that you do NOT choose the simplest hardware device.
              Instead choose a device that is not essential, and preferably has the least interactions with the rest of Windows.

well, to get such an isolation from windows I have installed Microsoft virtual PC  where I could be able to work on a separate environment.

If you are not using serial ports, perhaps you could create a driver to use a serial port, e.g. reading a file from disc, and sending the data via your driver to an old fashioned printer.

if  I am not wrong, I think there hardly be such ports (possibly serial port for mouse, i am not sure though) being used.
              well , tell me which are serial ports and which are parlell ports used in CPU?....I know few of them but i think you better tell me.
              I am only suggesting possibilities to consider, and warning you need to take care you do not irretrievably damage Windows.
              There are people with more experience that may give much better guidance.

your suggestions are welcomed!
              I respect your ambitions, and wish you well.

thanks!!

ALAN_BR

Hopeful

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2008, 07:19:47 AM »
                Hi

My laptop has no serial port, and as a result :-
                I do not see a 9 pin connector at the back;
                Device Manager knows nothing of COM serial ports,
                but it tells me my Parallel Port LPT1 is working O.K., and I can see its 25 pin connector.

I suggest you look for a 9 pin connector,
                and look at the Device manager on your P.C.

I suggest a Google for "serial port interface XP".
                That gave me 324000 hits, some of which suggest you can still get a serial interface for use with Windows XP.
                Many of these hits are for virtual emulators in software to simulate hardware, but some appear to indicate the availability of physical interfaces that can be plugged in, and of drivers that may be installed under Windows XP,
                which should give a nice starter.
                Alternatively, if you are working on a virtual P.C., then a virtual software emulator might be relevant.

One of the Google hits which shows the layout of a 9 pin connector is
                http://interface.centraltreasure.com/free_comport_software.html

I strongly recommend that if you add a physical COM port interface, you should not start developing and debugging your driver until you have first proven that the hardware is not broken.
                If you have or can download a "professional" driver interface you can test whether the serial port actually works - if something is broken and the "professional" driver cannot succeed, then simply creating and debugging your driver on a "broken" system is a waste of time.

Regards
                Alan

san_crazy

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2008, 08:33:57 AM »
                  Alternatively, if you are working on a virtual P.C., then a virtual software emulator might be relevant.

???

ok, tell me one thing

whenever we plug-in/out the devices like USB to USB port then there is a detection like
                     a new hardware found

when a CD ROM is inserted on CD drive then it is detected and its file are also being shown up automatically.

when an EitherNet network cable is plugged-in on its relevant port there is a detection like
                   a network cable is plugged/unplugged.

I just wanna ask, whether all these detections are carried out by drivers for corresponding devices or there is any thing else?

ALAN_BR

Hopeful

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2008, 10:41:23 AM »
                    I do not know if similar hardware detection applies to a serial port.

Other experts here will probably know.

Alternatively, if you have a serial port, you could plug a serial device (e.g. mouse or keyboard) and see if it is announced.

ALTERNATIVE SUGGESTION

Do you really have to work on copyrighted proprietary Windows, with all the Giga Buck protection that M.$ and its army of lawyers could bring down on the heads of yourself and your college supervisors at the slightest hint that you might reverse engineer their intellectual property ?

Could you instead develop drivers for Open source operating systems such as Linux, where you will find many people that are enthusiasts who are willing to help others with creating device drivers.

NB This is the M.$. Windows forum.  Alternatives on Computer Hope site are "Drivers" and "BSD, Linux, and Unix"

Regards
                    Alan

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
                      • Yes
                      • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
                    « Reply #28 on: October 10, 2008, 02:04:44 AM »
                    Have a look at this VIDEO.  They concentrate more on Vista, especially toward the end of the video, but I think it's a good overview of what's going on when a device is plugged into the computer.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"