Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can I copy tasklist.exe to any place on my %PATH%  (Read 3701 times)

ALAN_BR

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Can I copy tasklist.exe to any place on my %PATH%
    « on: October 11, 2008, 07:23:59 AM »
    I have just download tasklist.exe for use on Windows XP Home with SP3.

I wish to use this in a batch command file.

Can I copy this to any location designated by %PATH% ?

I would prefer to avoid C:\WINDOWS\system32 because "here be dragons".
    Several times Windows File Protection has suddenly demanded that I give it a Windows Installation disc so it can do a NEEDLESS repair on something in system32, and since this P.C. only came with a "RESTORE" disc it gives endless grief.
    Hence I am a little apprehensive of system32 - like a marsh filled with crocodiles,
    but I will put tasklist.exe in system32 if this gives any extra benefits.

Regards.
    Alan

Dias de verano

Re: Can I copy tasklist.exe to any place on my %PATH%
    « Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 11:36:09 AM »
    You can indeed put it anywhere on your PATH. There is nothing special about C:\Windows\System32, apart from the fact that it is (or should be!) listed in the PATH variable. A habit I have had ever since MS-DOS 3 days is to have a folder called C:\UTILS which is on my PATH and which contains executables which I wish to refer to only by name, but which are not part of the native OS installation. I also have a folder on my PATH called C:\BATCH where I put batch files I want to access in that way. Like you, I don't like putting stuff in system folders such as Windows or any of the folders under it such as system32. I especially dislike programs which, on installation, attempt to dump files in those locations.

[Edit]

Another hate of mine is those programs which, without so much as a by-your-leave, add folders to the PATH. It's bad enough if that's all they do, but if they are badly coded they can nuke your PATH, which might badly confuse some people! Apple's QuickTime is a particularly annoying example. It also insists on adding itself to the startup list of programs, every time it runs and finds it is not already there. It makes me avoid watching MOV files.

ALAN_BR

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 01:37:19 PM »
      Thank you Dias.

You are my hero, you not only gave me the answer I was hoping for,
      but we dislike the same sort of things.

I remember Windows For Workgroups version 3.1,
      and a Borland set of code creation tools that include MAKE.exe which took human source code and compiled and linked it to create computer executables.

I still remember when the IT department upgraded me with a new Mouse that came with an installation 3.5 (rigid) floppy.

The next time I ran Borland MAKE my world fell apart.
      Command sequence :-
      "MAKE"
       ugghhh - what happened - I will try that again
      "MAKE"
       ugghhh - what happened - I will try that again
      "MAKE"
       ugghhh - what happened - etc.
      I then found that MOUSE installation had added a new folder C:\MOUSE for its new drivers  etc.
      AND that this folder held a new file MAKE.BAT,
      AND that my PATH now started with C:\MOUSE, so command MAKE no longer reached Borland MAKE.EXE
      The icing on the cake was that C:\MOUSE\MAKE.BAT had the magic command
      Code: [Select]
      SET PATH=C:\MOUSE\;%PATH%so by the time I looked at what had been done to my system, PATH had become
      Code: [Select]
      C:\MOUSE\;C:\MOUSE\;C:\MOUSE\;C:\MOUSE\;C:\MOUSE\;C:\MOUSE\;C:\;C:\BAT\;C:\ etc and back to normal.

I feel we ought to bring back capital punishment for such offences against humanity !!!

And don't get me started on Apple,
      not only does it install useless and unwanted services like Bonjour,
      once it is running you are stuck with it.
      I needed at least 3 attempts to kill its entire process tree before I could regain sufficient control for an orderly shut down.
      And even without iTunes grotware, when my daughter's IPOD shuffle is plugged into the P.C. it trashes the USB system just enough to instantly kill my External Hard drive,
      but it still manages to suck out all the power it wants to recharge its battery.  Clues from the Internet suggest that Apple short together the USB data lines to suck out more power, and I guess what they do on the port they are plugged into causes extreme aggravation to other ports.

My view of Apple is that MAC lost the marketing war against Windows,
      so now it is guerrilla warfare.
      with IPOD and iTunes as the stealth weapons of choice,
      and our youngsters are being seduced away from MP3 players to IPODS,
      not so much for relieving them of pocket money,
      but so that IPODS become deployed across the world, ready to trash their parent's computers.
      Should we now use firewalls to screen out "virus detonation synchronisation" signals that certain popular websites might issue to certain popular "peripherals" !!!

Regards
      Alan

Dias de verano

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 01:53:51 PM »
      Thank you for the kind words.

when my daughter's IPOD shuffle is plugged into the P.C. it trashes the USB system just enough to instantly kill my External Hard drive but it still manages to suck out all the power it wants to recharge its battery.  Clues from the Internet suggest that Apple short together the USB data lines to suck out more power, and I guess what they do on the port they are plugged into causes extreme aggravation to other ports.

Powered hubs are quite cheap these days, and are handy for keeping troublesome USB gear at arm's length.

ALAN_BR

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 02:27:47 PM »
        Yes Dias, you are right.

The only problem is, my daughter now has a job and a wage,
        so I no longer supply pocket money from which I can deduct the cost of the hub.

But I am being worn down

I guess I could try offering the USB powered hub as my Christmas present to her !!!

Regards
        Alan

Dias de verano

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 02:47:04 PM »
        my daughter now has a job and a wage,

She can buy her own computer then.

ALAN_BR

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 03:20:36 PM »
          If only - but it is not an option in my situation !!!

Unfortunately I only have a 4 year old laptop with Windows XP because she first bought it for herself, and then got tired of it and gave it to me as a free and unconditional gift.
          Otherwise I would still be using an 8 year old Desktop with Windows 98 and dial-up Internet (it was the Broadband Internet which swung the deal for me to abandon proper DOS)

Regards
          Alan