Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: NTFS OR FAT for formatting using xp  (Read 4096 times)

anjeepsolution

Topic Starter

Beginner

NTFS OR FAT for formatting using xp
    « on: October 11, 2008, 08:18:05 AM »
    Hello Sir,

I formatted my pc using ntfs and then i made only one drive that is primary C:

And in that i filled all data. But now i want to do make more drives.

So is there any method to solve my problem.

And also please confirm me with what should we format our pc while installing xp
     NTFS or by FAT32    because one of my friend told me that if you format a new harddisk you should format using ntfs and then while formatting 2nd time or any time you should format using fat.  So i request you  to please clear my doubt.

I request you to kind give me solution on my mail Id that is :  
          [email protected]

Please help me to solve my problem

Thank you

email addy removed to prevent SPAM.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 08:23:09 AM by patio »

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: NTFS OR FAT for formatting using xp
    « Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 08:54:40 AM »
    You want to "make more drives".  What does that mean?  Adding a second hard drive? 

So is there any method to solve my problem.
    Exactly what is your problem?

... my friend told me that if you format a new harddisk you should format using ntfs and then while formatting 2nd time or any time you should format using fat.
    Nonsense, on both points.  You don't need to use NTFS for an initial formatting of a new drive if you prefer, for some reason, to use FAT32, and you can reformat using NFTS as many times as you need to.

tony440

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 10:56:16 AM »
      Can you tell if what you really want is a partition? I believe so. Drives aren't making clear enough what is your problem. If is that you want to have partitions on XP they should be format in NTFS. 8)

killerb255

Adviser
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 12:43:57 PM »
        If this is the drive you will be installing XP on, then there is NO REASON* to use anything other than NTFS.

*: There are some exceptions, though: if you'll be accessing the data on that drive from an operating system that can't read NTFS (Linux, Windows 95/98/Me, Mac).  Other than that, stick to NTFS.
        Quote from: talontromper
        Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.