Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: need with External Harddive  (Read 2798 times)

MDOT

need with External Harddive
« on: March 19, 2005, 11:20:57 AM »
I have a external harddrive that i purchased on ebay thats 250gb but it shows up as 233gb is there a way i can make it 250 gb by formating if so how can i do this can u give me steps

thanks a lot

Corrosive

Re: need with External Harddive
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 12:27:28 PM »
This is actually something that causes quite a bit of confusion, and it's all down to the meanings of the various prefixes used.

You see, in most computing circles, 1 kilobyte is equal to 1024 bytes. However, as I'm sure you are aware, the term kilo is usually a reference to 1000 of anything, and that is how hard drive manufacturers define a kilobyte.

In effect, this means that Windows will report a drive smaller than what the manufacturer quotes. There's nothing wrong with the drive, it's just an inconsistancy in the definition of "kilo" (and all the other units).

[ For all you fact fans out there, 1024 bytes is strictly speaking called a kibibyte. Anyone who uses BitTorrent will probably have come across this already. ]

MDOT

Re: need with External Harddive
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 03:17:03 PM »
alright thanks