Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: discs  (Read 3495 times)

tigeR2005

discs
« on: March 15, 2005, 09:37:09 AM »
Please explain to me how to (or why you cannot) add to a cd until it is full.
What I mean is when you put 20 or 30 MB on a cd that says the capacity is 700MB and you try to add additionaly on it you get a "no usable space" message.
With a floppy you can add on until it is full.  Why not on a CD.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: discs
    « Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 12:41:19 PM »
    tigeR2005........ What type of cd are you trying to add to ? ........cd-r , cd+r , cd-rw, cd+rw .

Some cd's are not rewriteable...........

Let us know

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 02:17:29 PM »
    Which burner are you using?  If you finish the session you should be able to go back and write some more but if you finish the cd then it's all over
    One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

tigeR2005

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 06:12:15 PM »
    Some discs are only one use only.  I have no trouble erasing the re-recordable and using again.  I have used CD-R  and DVD-R and both have large capicity (700 MB and 4.7 GB).
    But if I only put a small amount on a disc, then wish to add more data to the same disc, I get a mesage that I have used (say 20 or 50 MB) but that there is no usable space left on the disc.
    With a floppy I can put some data on one then later add to it, even several times until the floppy is full.
    All I am wondering is why it can't be done on CD's.  Seems like a large waste of disc's to use one when you want to save a small amount, the not be able to use it later to add more.
    Thanks for your replys.

johnwill

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 06:55:59 PM »
    If you write the data MultiSession, you can add files later.  However, there is significant overhead in adding a new session to a CD-R disk, on the order of 20mb or so.  If you add one 4k text file, it still consumes a ton of space.

If you don't write all the sessions MultiSession, then no matter how much data is on the drive, you can't add any additional files.

tigeR2005

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 07:04:28 PM »
    Thank you for your answer.  I am not very whippy on computer terms.  How to I indicate MultiSession when I start.

johnwill

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2005, 03:17:26 PM »
    It varies, depending on the specific burning software you use.