Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: extension .eml  (Read 3231 times)

foxygrandma

extension .eml
« on: November 17, 2008, 05:19:28 PM »
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
Dell Inc. Dimension 4700, IE7.
 Processor a 3.20 gigahertz Intel Pentium 416-kilobyte primary memory cache1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache.
DRIVES: 160.03 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
152.59 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

Sometimes I get as forwards with the extension .eml, for example, Puppeteer Extraordinarie.eml (5049KB)

When I download that, which takes me to Outlook Express (which I do not as yet have set up in my computer.  In the Outlook Express Attach area is the Puppeteer Extraordinarie (3.69-MB).   When I click on that I takes me to:        Do I want to Open This File?   I open it and it opens in Windows Media Player where I wanted it to open in he first place.  So do not understand about the .eml extension.

Does that mean someone is sending it from Outlook Express?   I have a bunch of friends on OE that send me forwards but they usually have the file extension  .pps, .wm, .wmv.

I was just looking through a Special folder in my email where I keep really neat forwards and send them out again at some time.   Some I have had since early 2007, for example, this one; Surfing.eml (2190KB) (only it did not have that extension when I first received it) When I click on the .eml it takes me to Outlook Express where in the Attach: it shows Dog-Surf.wmv (1.60 MB) and if I click on that it opens in Windows Media Player, as it should.

I am wondering why the extension would change from the original .wmv to the .eml.

Anyone know?  Thanks much.  :-[

lostcoast

Hopeful
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: extension .eml
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 09:48:21 PM »
I have found some info you might be interested in at

http://www.fileinfo.net/extension/eml

it may or may not help but its a start.
I am  Moderator of Computerhope Chat, for live help and assistance please use/click Free Help in the upper forum toolbar.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 10:19:10 PM »
.eml is the file extension for an email message saved as such in OE or Windows (Vista) Mail.  Since OE is the software installed on computer that reads that type, i.e. .eml, of file, OE is going to be launched to open that type of file.  I suspect what's happening is that people who use OE and send mail to you sometimes forward something they've received from someone which contains a  .pps, .wm, .wmv, etc. files as an attachment to the original message. 

The only way you can avoid the intervention of OE in this situation is to ask the senders to send you that  .pps, .wm, .wmv, file as an original attachment to the message they send to you.  You could be making a nuisance of yourself by making such requests, so I'd use discretion here.  I think I'd just accept that these files will have to opened in OE before you can get to the actual attachment you want to open.

foxygrandma

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 11:31:03 PM »
Hmmm. I didn’t see a Reply button, only a quote button.   ???  Thanks much.   I made a shortcut to my desktop and will look at it tomorrow.

I have found some info you might be interested in at

http://www.fileinfo.net/extension/eml

it may or may not help but its a start.

foxygrandma

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 11:41:53 PM »

Thank you, Soybean, for the explanation.  I have had email  since about 1989 and this just started happening very recently, so I thought it was strange.  I will try to use discretion, but it is annoying. :)

.eml is the file extension for an email message saved as such in OE or Windows (Vista) Mail.  Since OE is the software installed on computer that reads that type, i.e. .eml, of file, OE is going to be launched to open that type of file.  I suspect what's happening is that people who use OE and send mail to you sometimes forward something they've received from someone which contains a  .pps, .wm, .wmv, etc. files as an attachment to the original message. 

The only way you can avoid the intervention of OE in this situation is to ask the senders to send you that  .pps, .wm, .wmv, file as an original attachment to the message they send to you.  You could be making a nuisance of yourself by making such requests, so I'd use discretion here.  I think I'd just accept that these files will have to opened in OE before you can get to the actual attachment you want to open.