Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Lightning now wont shut down  (Read 1921 times)

Revertrix

Lightning now wont shut down
« on: October 13, 2008, 12:02:53 PM »
Okay a few months ago I fell asleep with my computer on and a storm came pretty suddenly while I was asleep...anyway few hours after i fell asleep i pretty much literally jumped out of bed to what sounded like an explosion. What had happened was lightning stuck the tree outside my house leaving it in half splinters and half...firewood. Anyway it knocked out my power and when we got it back on a few hours later i turned on my computer and heard a loud sound i looked at the back and the sound seems like its from the fan in overdrive or something and about 1 minute after computer startup it stops...no fan or anything so im afraid of my computer overheating but nothing has really happened in the past few months.

What i have to do to shut it down is unplug it in the back. I let it go through its shutdown procedure and everything is fine...till the "Windows is shutting down" screen goes away and it goes black I get a "no connection" on my monitor which i expect but i hear that same loud fan sound from the back of the computer till I unplug it.

Before the strike I would just push the button on the front and it would turn on no problem and when i turned it off it would go from "windows is shutting down" to completely turning off.

Anyway I wanted to see if I could figure out the problem because I want to put in a new graphics card but im afraid of putting one in and having it get ruined...i plan on buying a new computer but till then I want this one to run the best as i can get it to.

If anyone has any solutions id greatly appeciate any help I can get...even if its "take it to a computer person" im afraid ill have to do that anyway

homer

Expert
    Re: Lightning now wont shut down
    « Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 12:49:01 PM »
    i hear that same loud fan sound from the back of the computer

is that possibly the PSU fan?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 02:40:07 PM »
    Unplug all power.
    Remove a side panel.
    Determine what make and Wattage your power supply is from the label...it's the silver box towards the top of the case where the power cord plugs in to on the rear of the machine.
    Talk to all your friends and borrow another PSU of the same or greater wattage that you know is working.
    Make notes of where all the power connectors go on your setup before you remove the old one.
    There will be 4 screws holding the PSU in place on the top rear of the case...one of them will be offset.
    Replace the old one double checking all connections (most connectors will only go in one way so if you don't force anything you should be fine ) and plug it in and see if it boots normally...
    If it does you need to replace the PSU...don't buy a Twenty Dollar special.

If it doesn't boot normally then Post back and we'll have to start checking other components.

NOTE: If this machine has an internal phone modem remove it before you test this whether you use it or not...matter of fact leave it out completely.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

senthilvalli

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 02:53:11 AM »
      this CMOS battrey problem.. change your CMOS battrey problem solved.

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
        • Obituary
      « Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 04:26:24 AM »
      You only need the graphics,monitor, and keyboard to boot.Remove all other add-ons.Unplug all unesscessary USB add-ons.

If it works add back one thing at a time until you find the bad one.
      Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
        • Obituary
      « Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 04:30:13 AM »
      this CMOS battrey problem.. change your CMOS battrey problem solved.

;D
      Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.